Question certain video games cause black screen

Jun 21, 2023
Hey hey, I'm having a very frustrating problem as stated above. As far as I can tell, only specific games cause my screen to go black, there is no sound or input but it's still turned on so I have to hard reset my computer. It only happens once I've started a game and played for a minute or two.

I've had it for about 4 years now and I've never had this issue before or on previous computers.

Windows, said games and all drivers are fully up to date.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated <3

Specs:
intel core i5-9600k
ram - 16gb
nvidia geforce gtx 970
motherboard - mpg z390 gaming pro carbon (ms7b17)
psu is some corsair unit I bought when putting it together, I don't recall which one but I do remember opting for more power than I needed.

Jun 21, 2023
Does Ctrl+ Win + Shift + B fix the black screen? It will refresh the desktop window manager. Do you run your games in fullscreen or borderless windowed? Hope you find a solution if that doesn't work.

As for your windows update failing, that has happened to me in the past. Restoring Windows to a previous version, and then installing the most recent updates fixed it, ymmv.

Jun 21, 2023
Does Ctrl+ Win + Shift + B fix the black screen? It will refresh the desktop window manager. Do you run your games in fullscreen or borderless windowed? Hope you find a solution if that doesn't work.

As for your windows update failing, that has happened to me in the past. Restoring Windows to a previous version, and then installing the most recent updates fixed it, ymmv.
I have tried that several times and I still have the issue regardless of borderless/windowed.

Really starting to think I'll have to mess with the windows versions, shudder.

Jun 21, 2023
Does Ctrl+ Win + Shift + B fix the black screen? It will refresh the desktop window manager. Do you run your games in fullscreen or borderless windowed? Hope you find a solution if that doesn't (
Damn, I haven't heard someone mention that old trick, for... a long time. I always forget about that one, but that's probably because it hardly ever works.
It worked for me the other day while I was playing diablo 4, actually! A friend of mine was having the same problem when he played certain games, and it worked for him, too. My monitor was just flickering when I alt tabbed, though. Seems like other people are stuck on a black screen

A recent Windows update was also giving me the same issues as OP (attempting to update, saying it failed, undoing changes), so that's why I thought it could be related.

Jun 21, 2023
Does Ctrl+ Win + Shift + B fix the black screen? It will refresh the desktop window manager. Do you run your games in fullscreen or borderless windowed? Hope you find a solution if that doesn't (

It worked for me the other day while I was playing diablo 4, actually! A friend of mine was having the same problem when he played certain games, and it worked for him, too. My monitor was just flickering when I alt tabbed, though. Seems like other people are stuck on a black screen

A recent Windows update was also giving me the same issues as OP (attempting to update, saying it failed, undoing changes), so that's why I thought it could be related.
How did you go about the reinstallation thing?