CES 2010: Nvidia and 3D Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'd much rather they put their minds to developing true Holographic technology and holographic projectors, especially miniature holographic projectors for the desktop or notebook.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The 58xx series ATI cards list "3D stereoscopic display/glasses support" under their specifications. This isn't just an Nvidia thing. And if you have a compatible display (they need a high 120Hz refresh rate), the idea of putting on some stutter glasses, and playing games in 3D, actually seems like it'd be a lot of fun. Watching movies in 3D would be neat too... HDMI out to my bigscreen, slap some 3D glasses on, and watch Avatar =)

Getting your 3D glasses from Nvidia seems pretty iffy tho. They don't play well with others.... and there's neutral alternatives like XpanD.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
...companies including Acer, Samsung and LG will be releasing 3D compatible LCD monitors...
I've spent a lot of money for dual 24" LCD monitors recently (I want a 3rd one) and now you want to to trash those and buy all new 3D LCD monitors?!! I DONT THINK SO!!!

G

Will the Vision glasses work with the new 3D TVs Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Toshiba have shown at CES? I hope they do, because they all offer at least 120Hz or even 'manipulated' 480Hz.
I do hope I can play my PC Games in 3D at a large screen this year.

On a side note, also the PS3 has enough ressources to deliver a full 3D experience. Check this out:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-ps3-can-own-3d-gaming

Cool that the Nvidia 3D solution drops 50% fps when you can have the same headache experience without :)

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
3D technology together with holographic research will someday lead to a true to life 3D image that has no headache issue at all, do you have a headache right now? ;)

(your whole life is in 3D)

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
The only time I have ever seen 3D movies work at someone's home was due to them owning a 600htz plasma. The refresh rate is so high the 3D looks awesome.

geogan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I have a "3D" Blu-ray of the Polar Express. They use the old blue/red glasses and use the overlaid blue/red format image to do it - unfortunately it doesn't wok at all right (and i tried it from PS3 to 50" LG plasma and a FullHD projector on 120" screen). No matter what settings i did for image color/contrast/tint etc. on both displays you can still see ghost of the "other" eye image in both eyes so the effect doesn't work. Are NVidia going to do some sort of "on-the-fly" processing of this blue/green 3D Bluray standard to convert each frame to the interlaced 120" shutter method?

Status
Not open for further replies.