CES 2013 Bigger Than Ever Even Without Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Because the company's product news milestones generally don’t align with the show’s January timing
I didn't buy that line back when Microsoft gave it as the reason for its exit and I still don't. CES, E3, or whatever show a company has interest in isn't about convenient timing for a finished product. These venues are to share a company's ideas, thoughts, prototypes, what they have been working on (demo), or just a road-map to get the industry and the consumers interested in what's to come. Very little has to do with milestone alignment for a company. In Microsoft's case, they aren't just an OS company these days, Surface, Win8, Xbox, Bing, Sync, etc. So to their reason I say they are either running out of ideas or were just pissed at not being named as the company being handed the mic to give the keynote speech for the first time.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

so the article title is being strictly literal?

156153 > 150000 and 3100 > 3000. so the answer to my question above is "yes". although i will note that those numbers are small drop.

Funny MS didn't review their decision of pulling out of CES given how desperate they are trying to push Windows Phone.

This is like THE show to actually advertise Windows Phone to its fullest.

Cheers!

G

Microsoft quit CES and E3 because Ballmer is tired of looking like a fool on stage. He will never have the presence Bill Gates did and he certainly hasn't any vision to speak of.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Does M$ expect CES to move so as to accommodate the M$ product release schedule ?

Seriously, Microsoft has to realize that it is them -no matter how big they are- who have to live with the show schedules. Otherwise all 3000 have to adjust their time tables to make M$ happy.

Then again, I never went to CES to see what's new from the Windows company to begin with.

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Microsoft quit CES and E3 because Ballmer is tired of looking like a fool on stage. He will never have the presence Bill Gates did and he certainly hasn't any vision to speak of.

If that is the case, then I must applaud Ballmer on his immense stamina - it's taken him this long to get tired of it?!

alevox

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]I didn't buy that line back when Microsoft gave it as the reason for its exit and I still don't. CES, E3, or whatever show a company has interest in isn't about convenient timing for a finished product. These venues are to share a company's ideas, thoughts, prototypes, what they have been working on (demo), or just a road-map to get the industry and the consumers interested in what's to come. Very little has to do with milestone alignment for a company. In Microsoft's case, they aren't just an OS company these days, Surface, Win8, Xbox, Bing, Sync, etc. So to their reason I say they are either running out of ideas or were just pissed at not being named as the company being handed the mic to give the keynote speech for the first time.[/citation]

So you don't believe that Microsoft exited CES because of unaligned product releases but you're willing to buy into the idea that they are exiting because they didn't get to go first? That makes a lot of sense.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]alevox[/nom]So you don't believe that Microsoft exited CES because of unaligned product releases but you're willing to buy into the idea that they are exiting because they didn't get to go first? That makes a lot of sense.[/citation]
I don't buy any of it. A BS answer from Microsoft deserves a BS excuse or two for pulling out of the show that they were a major contributor and star in. Out of ideas or in the other case not being name the keynote speaker was purely coincidence. Personally, I would have enjoyed seeing Ballmer as the speaker, love his past material courtesy of YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS