CG version, revE4, revE6? help

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi,

Ok ASUS.com says that the A8N-Sli Premium is compatible with CG Version and rev E6 of the AMD 64 4000+ but it doesnt list that mobo as supporting the rev E4 of that same processor...

How do i know which rev I am buying from new egg.com?

There are 2 different cores of the AMD 64 4000+ - sandiego and clawhammer.

Gosh this is really difficult to understand-- why is there CG version, rev E4, and rev E6 of this one processor and how am i supposed to know which one im buying and why are only 2 of the 3 version compatible on this one motherboard (A8N-Sli Premium)?

This means that if i get AMD 64 4000+ stepping rev.E4 that it will NOT work in the ASUS A8N-Sli premium right?

Someone please help / give info / explain version of processors and tell which one would be most suitable for ASUS A8N-SLI premium compatability wise in the AMD 64 series.

Fortunately this mobo is compatible with both revE4 and E6 of the AMD 64 X2 3800+ dual core, so i might go that way but I still want to understand what rev version im buying from new egg. and why the single cores have 2 out of 3 versions compatible on the same board (why not 3 out of 3 versions compatible)

How do i find out what rev I am purchasing?

please help
thank you

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
That mobo will work with any of those steppings. I think its an oversight on Asus' part that they left out the E4 from their compatibility list.

E4 & E6 are San Diego and Venice cores (I think its in that order, but I could be mistaken).

Either of those 4000+'s will work fine, but if you get one, get the San Diego.

The real reason its not published broadly is because to a 'normal consumer' (one who isn't going to worry about these fine details of how much cooler/better OC/etc. this core works compared to the other one), an A64 4000+ is an A64 4000+... 2.4ghz, 1mb L2, 939pin, etc... Enthusiaists know the E4 overclocks better than the CG, but if you don't OC it doesn't really matter.

Most stores put the core code (Venice, Clawhammer, etc.) on their info, but not so much the rev. code. Some will, but if you want to know you should be able to find out from the actual AMD part # and look it up on AMD's site.

Mike.

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Thank you SO MUCH :)

man you really explained it well..

God what bull crap they really need to label those revisions as (IGNORE unless your an EXPERT)

thanks man