Question Chance of being able to solder B760M Motherboard CPU Connector pin (see pictures)

Aug 6, 2024
Hello, I have B760M DS3H with some bent CPU connector pins and 2 pins that have the gold tip missing.

Do you think there is a chance to solder back onto these metals the tip? what is it made of - I think copper with gold coating , right?

And what tools exactly would I need to be able to do that? at the moment I just have this Solder Iron tip but I think it's a bit too big.

See my issue pictures here:

Pins 1
Pins 2

Do you have any other suggestion on how to fix this considering the tool I have?

Aug 6, 2024
This is a matter of if you actually have to ask that question, then you can't. And, even if you could you do not solder directly to the pins on a cpu socket in that manner. The only fix here is a motherboard replacement.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can actually fix this? I saw a few videos, but looks like they involve taking the entire thing out so you can see the backside, and I would need a heating machine wouldn't i? what if I had gotten a much thinner soldering tip, maybe that could be done?

USAFRet

Titan
Do you have any suggestions on how I can actually fix this? I saw a few videos, but looks like they involve taking the entire thing out so you can see the backside, and I would need a heating machine wouldn't i? what if I had gotten a much thinner soldering tip, maybe that could be done?
How to:

Buy 6 Intel known working motherboards and compatible CPUs.

On the first one, break a pin, similar to the way yours is broken.
Attempt your solder action.
Put it together with its CPU.
See if the system works.

Swear, because it doesn't.

Repeat several times with your other boards.

Learn to swear in multiple languages.

Come to the realization that fixing an Intel board with this damage is NOT a DIY situation.

Buy a replacement motherboard for the one you have.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hello, I have B760M DS3H with some bent CPU connector pins and 2 pins that have the gold tip missing.

Do you think there is a chance to solder back onto these metals the tip? what is it made of - I think copper with gold coating , right?

And what tools exactly would I need to be able to do that? at the moment I just have this Solder Iron tip but I think it's a bit too big.

See my issue pictures here:

Pins 1
Pins 2

Do you have any other suggestion on how to fix this considering the tool I have?
Looks like it's time for a new motherboard. Don't waste your time.

Aug 6, 2024
How to:

Buy 6 Intel known working motherboards and compatible CPUs.

On the first one, break a pin, similar to the way yours is broken.
Attempt your solder action.
Put it together with its CPU.
See if the system works.

Swear, because it doesn't.

Repeat several times with your other boards.

Learn to swear in multiple languages.

Come to the realization that fixing an Intel board with this damage is NOT a DIY situation.

Buy a replacement motherboard for the one you have.
hah... oh well, okay - I did see some people doing this, but of course they do have all the right tools, i'll give my best shot and if it doesn't work it doesn't work

Trying to do this is going to result in not only NOT fixing the motherboard, but having to then ALSO buy a new CPU when it put it into the "fixed" motherboard, and it fries it. Which, it almost definitely WILL.

Even motherboard manufacturers don't bother trying to fix something like this when they receive it via RMA. It is too difficult, is not cost effective and considering you have no idea if anything else on the board was affected, likely won't result in a working board anyhow. They simply toss them into the scrap bin and send you back either a returned board that nothing was actually wrong with, or a new one. Even the people who made the board in the first place do NOT try to fix them.

Aug 6, 2024
Trying to do this is going to result in not only NOT fixing the motherboard, but having to then ALSO buy a new CPU when it put it into the "fixed" motherboard, and it fries it. Which, it almost definitely WILL.

Even motherboard manufacturers don't bother trying to fix something like this when they receive it via RMA. It is too difficult, is not cost effective and considering you have no idea if anything else on the board was affected, likely won't result in a working board anyhow. They simply toss them into the scrap bin and send you back either a returned board that nothing was actually wrong with, or a new one. Even the people who made the board in the first place do NOT try to fix them.
Okay, thank you - for now I haven't even been able to test if it works without these two tips missing, maybe it will just work, but I don't have the CPU or DDR5s yet

Aug 6, 2024
As mentioned above, you do realize that a"fix" with this broken board may result in the brand new CPU you get for it being friend, right?
yeah got you - I didn't try to do any soldering yet or anything like that, just aligned the pins as much as I can. But you're right, it will probably be an expansive lesson if i end up frying the cpu

It might, MIGHT, "work", but it isn't going to work right. Something will be lacking. Memory might not work or only one memory channel is functional. Graphics might not work or might be corrupted. PCIe bus might have issues. Could have network adapter issues. ANYTHING could be problematic, but one thing that's for sure is, it will NOT work normally IF it works at all. And, there is also the further possibility that you could not only damage the CPU but if one of those pins is dedicated to something else like the PCIe bus, you could damage other hardware including graphics cards or anything else connected to the board.

Aug 6, 2024
It might, MIGHT, "work", but it isn't going to work right. Something will be lacking. Memory might not work or only one memory channel is functional. Graphics might not work or might be corrupted. PCIe bus might have issues. Could have network adapter issues. ANYTHING could be problematic, but one thing that's for sure is, it will NOT work normally IF it works at all. And, there is also the further possibility that you could not only damage the CPU but if one of those pins is dedicated to something else like the PCIe bus, you could damage other hardware including graphics cards or anything else connected to the board.
I checked the lga 1700 pin diagram:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...36521d88c1008b4bb23992e8fd520a1b43cf61c346ac&

The two missing are 1 VCCCRE, which is power and one VCCGT which should be onboard graphics. I bought a CPU without onboard graphics, F version, so that should be fine, now the question if a single power tip not touching would cause an issue, but then again I also can't say that it won't be touching it, maybe the part that's left from the tip would be just enough to still touch? theres also two others that have their tip bent but they might still be able to touch.. they also are in the VCCCRE section which is power

Aug 6, 2024
Well, its your time and money to waste.

I know what I would do....Go back in time and not buy a known broken motherboard, with unknown faults.
What else is wrong with it?
I did it as I want to try this fixing hardware as a new hobby, I enjoy it, but might not have been wise to try it on an expansive almost the latest version out there of motherboard and cpu rather than some old board for practice.

USAFRet

Titan
I've had a one time success in fixing bent pins on an Intel board.
But never actually broken.

Parts I already had, resurrecting from garage storage.
I dropped something on the board, and bent a couple of pins.

Before - No boot
VYa6TQH.jpeg

After - boot success
a0iIGSd.jpeg

to fix:
JYUnC45.png

Aug 6, 2024
I've had a one time success in fixing bent pins on an Intel board.
But never actually broken.

Parts I already had, resurrecting from garage storage.
I dropped something on the board, and bent a couple of pins.

Before - No boot
1a9v061.jpg

After - boot success
oenFyWk.jpg

to fix:
JYUnC45.png
Nice, yeah yours looks really a walk in the park compared to what I bought, and of course I didn't notice the tips missing when I bought, otherwise I wouldn't, might just go and sell it for parts back with a warning