Question Chance of being able to solder B760M Motherboard CPU Connector pin (see pictures)

Aug 6, 2024
Hello, I have B760M DS3H with some bent CPU connector pins and 2 pins that have the gold tip missing.

Do you think there is a chance to solder back onto these metals the tip? what is it made of - I think copper with gold coating , right?

And what tools exactly would I need to be able to do that? at the moment I just have this Solder Iron tip but I think it's a bit too big.

See my issue pictures here:

Pins 1
Pins 2

Do you have any other suggestion on how to fix this considering the tool I have?

Aug 6, 2024
This is a matter of if you actually have to ask that question, then you can't. And, even if you could you do not solder directly to the pins on a cpu socket in that manner. The only fix here is a motherboard replacement.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can actually fix this? I saw a few videos, but looks like they involve taking the entire thing out so you can see the backside, and I would need a heating machine wouldn't i? what if I had gotten a much thinner soldering tip, maybe that could be done?

USAFRet

Titan
Do you have any suggestions on how I can actually fix this? I saw a few videos, but looks like they involve taking the entire thing out so you can see the backside, and I would need a heating machine wouldn't i? what if I had gotten a much thinner soldering tip, maybe that could be done?
How to:

Buy 6 Intel known working motherboards and compatible CPUs.

On the first one, break a pin, similar to the way yours is broken.
Attempt your solder action.
Put it together with its CPU.
See if the system works.

Swear, because it doesn't.

Repeat several times with your other boards.

Learn to swear in multiple languages.

Come to the realization that fixing an Intel board with this damage is NOT a DIY situation.

Buy a replacement motherboard for the one you have.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hello, I have B760M DS3H with some bent CPU connector pins and 2 pins that have the gold tip missing.

Do you think there is a chance to solder back onto these metals the tip? what is it made of - I think copper with gold coating , right?

And what tools exactly would I need to be able to do that? at the moment I just have this Solder Iron tip but I think it's a bit too big.

See my issue pictures here:

Pins 1
Pins 2

Do you have any other suggestion on how to fix this considering the tool I have?
Looks like it's time for a new motherboard. Don't waste your time.

Aug 6, 2024
How to:

Buy 6 Intel known working motherboards and compatible CPUs.

On the first one, break a pin, similar to the way yours is broken.
Attempt your solder action.
Put it together with its CPU.
See if the system works.

Swear, because it doesn't.

Repeat several times with your other boards.

Learn to swear in multiple languages.

Come to the realization that fixing an Intel board with this damage is NOT a DIY situation.

Buy a replacement motherboard for the one you have.
hah... oh well, okay - I did see some people doing this, but of course they do have all the right tools, i'll give my best shot and if it doesn't work it doesn't work