chances of my pc components surviving a psu exploding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortus2

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Hay I was on computer with my friend playing a intense game when suddenly when I looked away I heard a loud back and when I looked back I saw a quick spark, I was worried what happened and didn't really focused on where the spark came from. I could smell smoke but the explosion wasn't that big it just made 1 or 2 loud bang and sparked and turned off with abit of smoke. It wont turn back on what are my chances of the other components in my pc are of surviving thank you :) and oh yeah my psu is a really cheap one and I was looking to upgrade it to one of the corsair cx series but I was to late and my other specs are case- corsair obsidian 750d ram- 4gb off I think Kingston Hard drive- 1 Seagate and 1 western digital motherboard- Asus m5a97 r2.0 -gpu hd radeon 7790 cpu- Fx 8150 overclocked to 4.2ghz on a coolermaster hyper 212 evo cooler and with artic mx4 thermal paste. Thanx guys help would be much appreciated

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
i remember myself being "stupid" curious to check what happens if i switch the switch at my old psu. There was a red switch upside was written 240, downside 120. i switched while pc was on and sparks low boom and psu dead. ;p

Mortus2

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

Thank you so much for the quick reply, what you said makes me more confident that my components may survive. As there was no damage marks and no sign of something blowing up on my motherboard. It may have just been my psu.Tomorrow I am going to get a new psu maybe a corsair cx series and I will tell you how it goes. Thank you so much :)

Mortus2

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

Did the rest of your component survive ?

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

yep, i just bought a new psu all fine.

Mortus2

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

Thanx I feel like theres a better chance that my components will survive thanx :)

Mortus2

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Thanx to everyone who posted and helped out. Today i went to a pc store and talked to a pc repair guy and told everything that happened. He helped me out alot picked a new psu for me and i bought it and tried it out on my pc. Luckily it WORKED !!!! i was so happy and none of my components were damaged. This psu is 650 watts and a 80 plus certified psu. I feel alot safer having this new psu powering my computer.

Thanx again to everyone who helped out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.