[SOLVED] Change Installer Locations for Software in Windows 8.1 Pro

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I need to find a way to change the Installation Location for some software I need for my AKAI MPK Mini MK3. I need my Windows 8.1 Pro PC to use the instrument; and the software as well of course.

Problem is it auto installs to my System Drive (C:) even though it's already damn near full... I want to install it onto another drive instead (G:).
My System Drive is soo full that it only installed part of the software and killed the process cause the drive hit the wall.

BTW I've tried contacting AKAI - but from what I've read they are notorious for awful or non existent support - so not holding my breath.

I really want to use my new Instrument - I hope someone has some ideas?

Thank you for your time

Solution
Can you install it onto C and then we can maybe move it

For example, let’s say you have a program that needs its files at C:\Program. You’d really like to store this directory at D:\Stuff, but the program requires that its files be at C:\Program. You could move the original directory from C:\Program to D:\Stuff, and then create a symbolic link at C:\Program pointing to D:\Stuff. When you relaunch the program, it will try to access its directory at C:\Program. Windows will automatically redirect it to D:\Stuff, and everything will just work as if it were in C:\Program.

Colif

Win 11 Master
2 things
  1. the software could include drivers, they have to be installed on C drive
  2. You cannot change the location for installation that easily. Windows only has one location it uses for all installs. Changing it for applications also means updates and drivers will also use that location and it breaks windows
You need to make space on C. Buy a bigger drive (weren't you looking into 20 tb of drives? you can't be out of space on C

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
2 things
  1. the software could include drivers, they have to be installed on C drive
  2. You cannot change the location for installation that easily. Windows only has one location it uses for all installs. Changing it for applications also means updates and drivers will also use that location and it breaks windows
You need to make space on C. Buy a bigger drive (weren't you looking into 20 tb of drives? you can't be out of space on C

Hi Colif,

Problem is the software is actually music production stuff, includes virtual instruments and 10-20gb or more o Samples etc - no room.

Yeah I plan on getting new drives and a new install fairly soon - but not just yet. Waiting on the last bit of cash and more research.

I understand some drivers may have to be in set locations - but not the huge library of samples and instruments etc... that's the real issue.
But it seems once you install one thing to the system drive - it will then install everything there.

Having said that - I'm really not sure it actually has any drivers - I think it's just software for the music programs/synths/samplers etc?

I would have thought there would be some way to do it with code or using regedit or this or that... this is nuts lol

So right now I've got a brand new instrument and I can barely use it - it's killing me for such a seemingly simple issue?

cheers

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you install it onto C and then we can maybe move it

For example, let’s say you have a program that needs its files at C:\Program. You’d really like to store this directory at D:\Stuff, but the program requires that its files be at C:\Program. You could move the original directory from C:\Program to D:\Stuff, and then create a symbolic link at C:\Program pointing to D:\Stuff. When you relaunch the program, it will try to access its directory at C:\Program. Windows will automatically redirect it to D:\Stuff, and everything will just work as if it were in C:\Program.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS