Change network to private

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
My network is set up as a public because this idiot decided that I didn't need to do that when I set up the machine. I have now spent hours looking up how to change my network type, but I cannot find it anywhere in Homegroup, windows settings or control panel. This sounds like such a windows thing to do.

One of the biggest problems I am having is the wide variety of Windows versions and all of the specific workarounds for each version. for reference, mine is 1803 as if right now.

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

http://

could I be missing something important? I cannot find the setting anywhere.

PS. the link is a picture

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
If you want privacy then leave it at public. Yeah, I know it's stupid but such is Windows.

The "private" setting is actually the less secure - designed for use in a "private" setting ie: limited risk of anybody else having access.

The "public" setting doesn't mean your network is public, it's just a setting to use in "public" needing more secure setting - coffee shops, open wifi etc

Windows assumes that your private networks–like your home or work networks–are trusted networks full of other devices you may want to connect to. Windows assumes that public networks are full of other people’s devices you don’t want to connect to, so it uses different settings.

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

It still isn't there

If you want privacy then leave it at public. Yeah, I know it's stupid but such is Windows.

The "private" setting is actually the less secure - designed for use in a "private" setting ie: limited risk of anybody else having access.

I don't need security all of the devices on my network are trusted and nothing should be able to get through my hardware firewall. I want to be able to share files and information and everything else between computers. it also helps with other stuff like hosting a LAN game sever. If none of that I need to be able to toggle it to troubleshoot network issues. why have they gotten rid of the public-work-private toggle like in windows 7. That was so useful.

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

The version number is 10.0.17134.167

then you have it.

click Start button
click Settings
Click Network & Internet
Click Status
to the right, click on link that says "Change Connection Proerties"
then, under Network Profile you choose Private or Public

if you are already in a Homegroup, delete it and all your shares and start over.

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Do I need to get a Windows recovery stick and check if something is missing?

And no I am not in a home group. In some versions there was a way to change the setting there but I have not set a home group up

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

I should. I have used genuine keys. Now that I think about it, I may have used a windows 7 Pro key to activate this machine. This was after the free upgrade stage. It worked when I used the key, so I haven't thought much about it. Could that be part of the problem?

P.S. Sorry it is taking so long to reply. My email notifications are kind of broken so I don't know when someone replies

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

I don't know how I could just lose a feature in windows. I guess I can live with it though until I break down and call Microsoft Support or more likely reinstall windows. This Is by far the weirdest thing that has happened to me in windows, and I have no clue how it has even happened.

Unless you have any other suggestions thanks for your help. I am giving up for now.

Dec 6, 2018
I know this is an older thread now, but was having the same issue trying to change public network to private and all suggestions I found were just not visible for me in my windows (Genuine)

So for anyone else who may stumble on this thread, for me the solution was to enable the media streaming options for the local network, this changed my network from public to private.