Change XMP profile or whatever for 1866mhz ram? GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scwbrian

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
I have g.skill 1866mhz ram, I can't seem to find out where to change it cause it's being detected at 1600mhz.
The motherboard obviously supports it but I don't know where to change it.
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard

Also, how do I reset the motherboard back to stock settings if I tweak with something or is that called optimized defaults?

JEDEC profiles are not selectable in BIOS, they are automatically chosen by BIOS if XMP is not enabled.

In the picture, OP selected Profile 1 for the XMP option in BIOS. He is using XMP Profile 1, which is what the RAM is rated for. That's why it shows DDR3-1866 under, and probably why the system is OK now. XMP enabled automatically changes the DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage as you mentioned, so the user does not have to.

Ooops... I looked at the picture and only saw the 1866. You are correct..... i didn't notice the XMP selection squeezed in at the top. I asked several times and all he said was "He selected 1866".

The Gigabyte Board I have here is different layout and you can pick from the following choices:

-(X.M.P.) Allows the BIOS to read the SPD data on XMP memory module(s) to enhance memory performance when enabled.

-Disabled - Disables this function. (Default)

-Profile1 - Uses Profile 1 settings.... this will be a JEDEC profile

-Profile2 - Uses Profile 2 settings.... this will be a JEDEC profile