Question Changed the gpu and don't realized that i accidently turned the pc fans off

May 2, 2019
So, today i removed my old gpu and replaced with a new one, it's a gtx 1060 6gb. When i did that i accidently pulled the fans cable from the psu. I started playing fortnite and when the game started to freeze after a 4/5 hours of gameplay. My pc was burning from inside. I turned it off and waited for the heat to dissipate. Then i plugged the fans back in and it is all doing well now. But im worried that the heat may have caused damage to my pc. Still, my pc didn't turn off during the gameplay and now it's doing fine. IM REALLY worried that i may have caused damage to the gpu or other parts of the pc. I don't know if i get worried about something or if i just forget this paranoia. Help me guys

May 2, 2019
For years pc's had no airflow as such. If they did it was a measly 80/90mm fan at exhaust. And cpus were just as hot (the P4 ran extremely hot) as today. If there was damage, you'd probably have found it by now.
So you are saying to not be worried about any possible damage? Btw my pc is a i5 7400, 8gb ram, gtx 1060 6gb, mb asus h170 pro gaming

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
You should be fine, most likely just throttled due to heat then shut down when the heat got too much, so in short the PC basically protected itself from damage by shutting down before it got too bad :)

May 2, 2019
You should be fine, most likely just throttled due to heat then shut down when the heat got too much, so in short the PC basically protected itself from damage by shutting down before it got too bad :)
The thing is, it didnt. I spent 5 hours playing with a pc hot af. I only turned it off when i realized that the fans inside the pc werent rottating. So the question is, should I be worried about having played for 5 hours without the fans working and the pc beeing HOT like the sun?

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
I used to have a really old hp presario laptop that used to run at like 92°c on both cores constantly basically as soon as it booted but it never used to turn off even with it being on for days sometimes, so a couple of hours will be fine :D