Question Changing CPU how do I know if it will work?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 6, 2022
I got an eMachine computer model EL1850, and I want to change the CPU (I think this is the Acer Aspire X1900 motherboard).

So I read the main thing is that the sockets have to be compatible and I found some great CPU's I want to use that are the same socket (LGA775).

But then I read also the BIOS has to be compatible. How do I know if my bios will work with the new CPU?

And also I read that the chipset on the computer has to be compatible. How do I check if this is so or not?

I currently have an Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6700, installed and I want to change it to an older CPU like an Intel Pentium D or Intel Celeron D.

Will it work? How do I find out if they are compatible?

How does one check this? I tried pc part picker but their webpage seems to be down, is that a good resource?

Jan 6, 2022
Yes I know ME is the Intel Management Engine. Also the fact they have an upgrade due to vulnerability issues does not seem reaffirming does it.

Ok, I also checked for specs for eMachines EL1850 online and it was stated that it has the G41 chipset. So I guess that answers my question, it won't be able to use with Pentium D or Celeron D it seems.

https://icecat.biz/en/p/acer/pt.ncae2.045/emachines-pcs-workstations-el1850-6080703.html

But maybe it doesn't have the intel ME thing due to it being put into the CPU's from mid 2008. And it is from Q3 2008. I guess it would make no sence for intel to put the same thing in the CPU & the chipset just extra costs.

But still it seems they could have put it into the 82801GB IO controller, given the statement:

"Intel® ME Firmware Version - YES"

What do you think?

Is there any way to check if a chip or computer or CPU has the Intel ME or Intel AMT?

Last edited:

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Have you gone into BIOS to see what info there is regarding BIOS/version, chipset/motherboard details? I would search on any additional details could be determined from BIOS....

That said, having spent an entire career in IT, at times responsible for security (ie. HIPAA requirements) as well as having dealt with malware/ransomeware recoveries, I have never seen that an extremely old platform not supported by current OS implementation and patching would be preferable to modern technology and practices.....

DSzymborski

Titan
None of this makes any sense whatsoever.

Just the act of going on the internet and researching IME is a far larger security threat than the cumulative danger from IME over the entire lifetime of a PC.

If you're this worried, remove the PC from the internet completely, buy some land and live off the grid, and pick up a roll of aluminum foil. And watch fewer movies.

The things you're talking about represent an astronomically small risk that is inherent from participating in modern society. The choices are to either accept that infinitesimal risk or live like it's 1875.

popatim

Titan
I didn't read this whole thread but:

IME exists in the chipset, not the processor.

The vulnerability you reference has to do with Hyperthreading (running more then one process on a core) and nothing to do with multiple cores. If you have a 2core 2 thread processor then you do not have HT.

There is more of a security with you using your Windows PC as an Admin then anything. Make your self a non-admin account and use it always. Make a nice secure password for your admin account and use it only when you need to install or change something.

For even greater security, trash windows and install linux.