changing gtx 960

Masoud_099

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
hi
ok i bought the gtx 960 about 8 months ago and now i want to change it cause i really dont like the performance since i ve always been an amd fan(i dont know why i bought the gtx 960 at the first place) im about to buy a r9 390, is it a good card? or should i get something more powerful? cause i want to have alot more power than a gtx 960

Solution
Better wait for Pascal or Polaris video cards to release. If you are on 1080p, you are still good to go with GTX 960 as it can play most of the AAA titles on very high to ultra and still maintain 40+ FPS.

If you really want to upgrade to AMD, get the Polaris. There is no point upgrading GTX 960 to some R9 300 at this point of time when new gen cards are about to release in 2 to 3 months. And Maxwell is also a much better architecture than that of AMD, it uses a lot less power, runs cooler and performs nearly same (maybe better since most of the games are Nvidia optimized), has it's own exclusive features (HBAO+, gameworks, hairworks, fallout 4 weapon debris effect etc.).

And given that you are an AMD fan, I won't try to stop you from...
Here is Tomhardware's ranking of video cards.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html
They include estimated pricing so you can eyeball which ones are both fast enough and remain within your budget.

The top recommend AMD on this list is the Radeon R9 Fury X.

I suggest you uninstall everything Nvidia before you remove the card. This way your PC won't auto-install any AMD graphics driver stuff while the NVidia stuff is still installed. I find it works better that way.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/30.html

FPS depends on the CPU you have as well. If you have a weaker CPU than the Intel used in the tests than more CPU heavy games will tend to be affected more.

*The above bench isn't ideal as they don't compare to a stock R9-390, however I can't find such a review. Thus, the R9-390 used is probably overclocked more than the GTX960 could be.

Best case is about 1.6X FPS boost, but realistically the average is likely closer to 1.5X after overclocking and CPU differences.

So a 40FPS game should be closer to 60FPS.

*I strongly recommend WAITING for the upcoming Pascal/Polaris GPU's instead and get one with:
a) 6GB VRAM or greater, and
b) R9-390X performance or greater (in today's games)

Masoud_099

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016

my cpu is i5 4460 got no problem with it so far
so i can get 60 fps at most games if i buy a 390 now but you say its better to stay for pascal/poralis rather than buying a 390 right now?
i dont know their release dates btw

ATi RaDEoN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Better wait for Pascal or Polaris video cards to release. If you are on 1080p, you are still good to go with GTX 960 as it can play most of the AAA titles on very high to ultra and still maintain 40+ FPS.

If you really want to upgrade to AMD, get the Polaris. There is no point upgrading GTX 960 to some R9 300 at this point of time when new gen cards are about to release in 2 to 3 months. And Maxwell is also a much better architecture than that of AMD, it uses a lot less power, runs cooler and performs nearly same (maybe better since most of the games are Nvidia optimized), has it's own exclusive features (HBAO+, gameworks, hairworks, fallout 4 weapon debris effect etc.).

And given that you are an AMD fan, I won't try to stop you from getting Polaris because I believe it would be excellent. But as per the rule of the thumb, Pascal is expected to be even better. So better wait and enjoy you GTX 960 at the moment!

Solution