Question Changing laptop thermal paste - More than just CPU/GPU?

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hello,

As the title says, it concerns thermal paste for my laptop. When it comes to desktop PCs, I've learnt to do it on my own and have always been able to do the job myself, but I have less experience with laptops, and the way gaming laptops are made aren't the simplest way. I have an ASUS TUF FAI506IU, I've watched and read several how-to guides and videos. It's not always exactly the same model, but the way it's built inside is pretty much alike.

I didn't dare to remove the heatpipe "yet" since it's not advised to put it back without changing the thermal paste. From what I've seen in videos (https://ibb.co/y6MXGpv) there are several places with "paste" but it's white, it's not gray like what you have on the CPU and GPU. (so I'd guess a different product, example on the link up there) On some videos they leave it on, and on some other videos they clean it and put new...whatever this is. I'd like to say I could trust whatever I see, but I also saw some things to avoid from time to time. (Doing it bare hands, leaving the battery plugged, spreading the paste, etc...)

I've always had good tips and instructions here, so what is your opinion on the matter? Is it alright to leave these chips untouched and only replace the CPU/GPU thermal paste? And by the way, what are these chips I circled in red? I tried to find some info on it, but didn't.

Thank you very much.

Lutfij

Titan
You should be using thermal pads on the areas circled in red, which are memory and/or VRM areas on the motherboard. Generally you should replace the pads with higher quality ones but if you can't source them, you should make sure you don't damage/tear or throw away the pads that came with your laptop.

Just to reiterate, CPU and GPU die = thermal paste. VRM and memory areas = thermal pads or thermal putty.