Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
Okay, so I'm upgrading and going from:

AsRock 970 Extreme 3 w/ Phenom II x4 975 BE
Gtx 560ti Zotac AMP! edition

to:

AsRock z87 Extreme 3 w/ Xeon e3-1230 v3
Gtx 770 Gigabye OC

I, however, am keeping my old WD Blue 1tb, which has windows 7 HP (from an OEM Builder's pack). From my reading, it looks like I can't just run a repair disc and have it work out fine because it's OEM. I have an iso of W7 HP, but I don't want to erase all the data on my HDD with a fresh wipe, as it has all my installs, games and media.

Tips on what to do?

Thank you all.

PS
I'm giving my little brother my current rig, so I'm getting another wb 1tb for him. Would I be able to use that to help with the transfers?

and obviously if I just buy an SSD i'd put windows on that, but would my old HHD just plug in and work?

Solution
You need to plan on a clean install. The installed drivers of your old motherboard will not boot with a different chipset.

Do install clean on a SSD. Do not leave any other drives connected during the install, or windows will attempt to put a hidden protected recovery partition on it.

After the ssd install, you can reattach your hard drive and all the files will be available to you.
Programs will need to be reinstalled since you will have created a new registry.

For activation, remember that a given activation code can only be used on just one pc at a time.
You need to plan on a clean install. The installed drivers of your old motherboard will not boot with a different chipset.

Do install clean on a SSD. Do not leave any other drives connected during the install, or windows will attempt to put a hidden protected recovery partition on it.

After the ssd install, you can reattach your hard drive and all the files will be available to you.
Programs will need to be reinstalled since you will have created a new registry.

For activation, remember that a given activation code can only be used on just one pc at a time.

Solution