Question New Windows 10 PC build is stuck on Gigabyte Logo Screen ?

Jun 2, 2024
Hi,
I just built a new PC with new cpu+mobo+memory listed below.
GIGABYTE B760 DS3H AC DDR4 (new)
Intel Core i5-12400 (new)
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL16 Desktop Memory Module Ram (Gray) - TLZGD432G3200HC16FDC01 (new)
Wester digital hard drive 1TB, SATA (migrated from my old PC)

I installed Windows 10 from a USB flash drive. Installed successfully, so I shut off the sytem, and removed the USB drive. However, upon rebooting. It was just stuck on the Gigabyte logo screen, and can't boot into windows. I tried other potential fixes online.
1. Turn CSM on, configure to UEFI, then legacy. --> Both cases made no difference, boot still fails.
2. Convert the hard drive to MBR during Windows install. --> Boot still fails.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f81qKAJUdKc

3. Remove CMOS battery (retried 1 and 2). --> Boot still fails.
4. Suspecting that my hard drive is the issue, I tried a known good Sandisk SSD 500GB. Repeated 1 thru 3. --> Boot still fails.

Just a note, as long as I leave the USB boot drive connected to the mobo, it boots into Windows just fine without fail. But once I remove the USB drive, windows no longer boots. Not sure what this indicates...

I'm out of other ideas at the moment, so if anyone has any insight into this, please let me know. Thanks for reading.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you getting to desktop after installing windows? You not just taking the USB out after the first restart and thinking its actually finished?

Updated BIOS to latest version?

I would only have 1 drive in PC when installing, windows has a habit of sharing and putting files on blank space if given the chance.

i would reset bios to defaults, running in legacy isn't really helpful going forward.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Go to BIOS, turn off CSM, set UEFI to on, no legacy.
Turn PC off and disconnect physically every HDD/SSD except the one you want to install Windows onto.
Install Windows again.
During setup you will be told the PC needs to restart, take the USB install stick out of your PC before the restart.
Setup should complete now. Your PC may restart 3-5 times.

Most likely cause of your problem is that Setup placed boot information on multiple drives. When you take the USB stick out, the drives and boot order is different and the OS cannot boot. This is why you should only have one active drive in the PC.

I strongly recommend you look at a cheap Crucial P3 or Teampgroup MP44L 1Tb NVMe. They are lightning fast. Having the OS on NVMe will be much faster, and even if you install applications and games onto the HDD they will be able to take advantage of caching or otherwise using the NVMe.
Don't buy no name or super cheap NVMes because you don't want them to die and take your files/OS with them.

Jun 2, 2024
So you getting to desktop after installing windows? You not just taking the USB out after the first restart and thinking its actually finished?

Updated BIOS to latest version?

I would only have 1 drive in PC when installing, windows has a habit of sharing and putting files on blank space if given the chance.

i would reset bios to defaults, running in legacy isn't really helpful going forward.
Yes, it shows the login screen, and goes into Window's desktop, runs like normal Windows.
I haven't flashed the latest Bios version yet, current version was released Dec 2023.
I have only one drive in there. When I switched to the SSD, the HD was disconnected and removed.
Thanks.

Jun 2, 2024
Go to BIOS, turn off CSM, set UEFI to on, no legacy.
Turn PC off and disconnect physically every HDD/SSD except the one you want to install Windows onto.
Install Windows again.
During setup you will be told the PC needs to restart, take the USB install stick out of your PC before the restart.

Most likely cause of your problem is that Setup placed boot information on multiple drives. When you take the USB stick out, the drives and boot order is different and the OS cannot boot. This is why you should only have one active drive in the PC.

I strongly recommend you look at a cheap Crucial P3 or Teampgroup MP44L 1Tb NVMe. They are lightning fast. Having the OS on NVMe will be much faster, and even if you install applications and games onto the HDD they will be able to take advantage of caching or otherwise using the NVMe.
Don't buy no name or super cheap NVMes because you don't want them to die and take your files/OS with them.
Ok thanks, I'll try that out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, don't take the USB out at first restart... the installer is still running off the USB at this stage, its only after a later restart it uses the drive windows is being installed onto. The first restart just copies files onto drive, its not running off it yet. You still need to create users at that point, its using one that gets deleted after the real ones are set up.

That was what I thought he was doing. It getting into desktop once and then not working, is different.

multiple drives in PC could be cause. It would be unusual.

Jun 2, 2024
I removed the usb install drive upon the first restart like 35below0 mentioned, and it seemed to fixed the issue. It boots into Windows now, and no longer stuck on the logo. I'll test bit more. thanks.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
No, don't take the USB out at first restart... the installer is still running off the USB at this stage, its only after a later restart it uses the drive windows is being installed onto. The first restart just copies files onto drive, its not running off it yet. You still need to create users at that point, its using one that gets deleted after the real ones are set up.

That was what I thought he was doing. It getting into desktop once and then not working, is different.

multiple drives in PC could be cause. It would be unusual.
I am very confused by what you wrote. The files are copied onto the target HDD/SSD drive from the USB installer, and after the first reboot setup continues from there, not the USB drive. Old CD/DVD installs were the same.

The reason to take the USB/CD/DVD media out before the computer restarts (but after the restart countdown begins) is because BIOS is highly likely to prioritise this drive as the BOOT device. And because it is bootable, it can start a loop where setup re-starts over and over again, instead of continuing from the point where the first restart happened, after all the setup files were copied.

If BIOS picks the target drive to BOOT from, then setup continues normally. This is what can make it inconsistent and unpredictable.
For sanity it is best to remove installation media once the target drive is formatted and prepared, and all the setup files are copied onto it.
Setup sometimes warns people to remove installation media, sometimes not.

Jun 2, 2024
I am very confused by what you wrote. The files are copied onto the target HDD/SSD drive from the USB installer, and after the first reboot setup continues from there, not the USB drive. Old CD/DVD installs were the same.

The reason to take the USB/CD/DVD media out before the computer restarts (but after the restart countdown begins) is because BIOS is highly likely to prioritise this drive as the BOOT device. And because it is bootable, it can start a loop where setup re-starts over and over again, instead of continuing from the point where the first restart happened, after all the setup files were copied.

If BIOS picks the target drive to BOOT from, then setup continues normally. This is what can make it inconsistent and unpredictable.
For sanity it is best to remove installation media once the target drive is formatted and prepared, and all the setup files are copied onto it.
Setup sometimes warns people to remove installation media, sometimes not.
I'm no PC expert, so thanks for explaining this, the install has been a bit frustrating Lol. I rebooted the machine four times today, web browsing was ok, and performed the Windows Update. On one of the reboots, it was stuck on the Gigabyte logo screen for 20 sec before the Windows logon screen appeared, which is longer than usual. Is this a sign of further instability with the hardware?

Colif

Win 11 Master

the drive isn't set up to boot yet, the 1st restart might start windows but its still running off the USB.

I have seen it mess up countless times when people remove USB at this point. Once the accounts are set up it is safe to remove USB device

Is windows installed now? Did you grab all the necessary drivers from motherboard website?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I'm no PC expert, so thanks for explaining this, the install has been a bit frustrating Lol. I rebooted the machine four times today, web browsing was ok, and performed the Windows Update. On one of the reboots, it was stuck on the Gigabyte logo screen for 20 sec before the Windows logon screen appeared, which is longer than usual. Is this a sign of further instability with the hardware?
Not if it happened during an update. Rebooting and installing updates takes longer than normal.
the drive isn't set up to boot yet, the 1st restart might start windows but its still running off the USB.

I have seen it mess up countless times when people remove USB at this point. Once the accounts are set up it is safe to remove USB device
Well that's the exact opposite of my experience and knowledge. I can't explain it. :)

The drive is set to boot elsewise the system would just sit in BIOS without the USB install drive plugged in.

Microsoft needs to be slapped about 11 million times because their installers are just the dirt worst and always have been.
Hell, the PC i recently worked on cannot activate the license because setup lost account information at one point and i had to re-create the account. Thanks MS, i really need contacting your support in my life. :rolleyes: