[SOLVED] Changing Motherboard (What kind of problems could I face?)

Jan 9, 2021
Hi, so here's the story...
I have a small (microATX I think they call it) pc case and motherboard.

I just bought a new graphics card and it's really big so I decided to change my pc case and the motherboard without changing anything(even the CPU).

I only know what kinds of things to consider in order to make it compatible with my cpu like: It should be lga1150 for intel 4th gen, ddr3 ram slots and atx.

What kind of other compatibility problems will I face if I do this.
Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Solution
You will avoid some possible issues if you simply move the old MATX motherboard and processor to the new case.

Changing out a motherboard will require you to remove the cpu from the socket and reinstall it on the new motherboard.
Socket pins are delicate and are easily bent in the process if you are not careful.

Windows may not boot to a new motherboard.
Usually, it does and all you need to do is install the chipset and other drivers that came on a cd with the new motherboard.

Windows may give you grief about reactivation thinking you are a pirate.
You need to set up windows first to register it and follow a reactivation process.

Mechanically, my biggest problem is getting the main 24 pin power lead out of the socket.
It is a...

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Need all your build info.

You changed from an itx motherboard to a microATX motherboard but kept the same brand and spec? That's cool, but you should do a fresh windows installation afterwards regardless. It's still a whole new board. Don't forget to link your Microsoft account with your Windows OS before that. If your old pc was HP or Dell keep the product key around just in case, too. Oh when you install windows make sure there is only the one intended drive in there. In any case but especially if you have any m2/nvme drives.

As for any other compatibility issues, it looks like you have everything under control. If it's basically the same board just a bit bigger than everything should be compatible. I'm sure you've doublecked the gpu with the motherboard.

Make sure you have enough standoffs. Don't lose the screws to your expansion slots, those will help support the graphics card when it's inserted. I think that's it. Without knowing your specs it's hard to think of anything more.

Ok, I will mention this before anyone else does: make sure your power supply has enough power to run everything now. ;)

Reactions: ozlevin
You will avoid some possible issues if you simply move the old MATX motherboard and processor to the new case.

Changing out a motherboard will require you to remove the cpu from the socket and reinstall it on the new motherboard.
Socket pins are delicate and are easily bent in the process if you are not careful.

Windows may not boot to a new motherboard.
Usually, it does and all you need to do is install the chipset and other drivers that came on a cd with the new motherboard.

Windows may give you grief about reactivation thinking you are a pirate.
You need to set up windows first to register it and follow a reactivation process.

Mechanically, my biggest problem is getting the main 24 pin power lead out of the socket.
It is a tight fit and you need to unlatch it while pulling it out(don't pull the wires)

If the original motherboard is proprietary and non standard, there are other issues.

Solution
Jan 9, 2021
Need all your build info.
If your old pc was HP or Dell keep the product key around just in case, too

If the original motherboard is proprietary and non standard, there are other issues.

Thank you for your answers!! Here's my build info as far as I know:
Cpu: Intel i7 4790
Gpu: Nvidia Rtx 2060
Power supply: 80 Gold
Motherboard: Dell microAtx (I dont know the rest) but that means it's proprietary, ouf.. why am I so unlucky! What kinds of problems wait for me then? Because actually I wanted to get the Asus Z97-A but is it not compatible at all, because I searched the internet and cant find any Dell ATX, there is only microATX, don't know why.

Is there any other thing I should add about my build?

Aaand lastly where can I find my Dell Product key?

Last edited:
Can you provide the make/model of your particular pc?
Dell makes many different ones.
Or, can you provide a photo of the size issue you have?
No graphics card should interfere with ram slots on a standard motherboard.
If your motherboard is proprietary, it may not even have a standard 24 pin main power.

Can you supply a photo of the data plate on your psu?
80 gold is an efficiency rating, it says nothing about the power delivery capability of the psu,
Can you supply the make/model of your 2060 card?
How many 6 or 8 pin connections does it have?
If your psu does not have them, then you will not work properly, and it might even be dangerous.

Jan 9, 2021
Heres the model:
IMG_20210110_164718_2.jpg

Just in case: Dell Precision T1700

- My graphics card is ASUS rtx 2060 Oc 6gb Dual

- on my Psu it says MAX 365W

And how can I see how many pin connections does it have? Thank you again!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
No graphics card should interfere with ram slots on a standard motherboard.

The holders of the ram slots literally blocks my graphics card with two other cables, idk but the graphics card is so big on my microAtx or Itx I dont know
Here's the picture of the mobo. Those blue and black inputs + the holders of the ram slots.

IMG_20210110_172032.jpg

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
There used to be stickers on the side of the case with a Windows product key. I don't think it's a thing with Dell, but HP was having issues ignoring digital licences. (What you get after you merge your MS account with your Windows product.) Keeping the product key around solves that problem. It might be on your original Windows DVD if you went that route. I wouldn't stress about it though, you likely won't have an issue when you merge.

If you look at the rtx2060, you will see a place to plug in an auxiliary power lead from the power supply.
It will look like this:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Now look for a matching cable coming out of your power supply.
I doubt you will find one. a 350w psu will be inadequate, even if you tried to use molex to pcie adapters.
And, it could be dangerous.
An overloaded psu can damage all other parts if it fails.

The dell precision 7100 is a workstation.
It comes also in a small form factor.
Which do you have?
Here are the specs:
https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocument...en/us/Dell-Precision-T1700-Spec-Sheet-tab.pdf

Does this look like your motherboard?
https://memoryclearance.com/073mmw-...MIqaq6heuR7gIVDqCzCh0pbAyhEAQYASABEgIyIfD_BwE
It looks to be a standard MATX with 4 rear expansion spaces.

But, if so, you have a heap of problems.
The motherboard uses non standard power so the included psu will not be able to run your 2060.
Past that, a stronger psu that is compatible is going to be hard to find, if not impossible.

You need to rethink.
A much more modest graphics upgrade like a used GTX750ti is about as good as you can do.
If your bios is uefi, you could run a card as strong as a gtx1650.

To make the 2060 work, you will need a psu in the 550w range or higher.
You will need a new case to house the psu unless the rear psu opening is 150 x 86mm.
The current case does not look like it is sufficiently well ventilated to cool a 2060.

To use the i7-4790, you will need a compatible lga1150 motherboard.
ATX,MATX, even ITX does not matter so long as it fits in the case.

Since the only thing you can really reuse is the cpu, I suggest you sell the whole pc and build anew.
For <$250, you can buy a current gen i3-10100 that is stronger than the 4790, a lga1200 motherboard, and 16gb of ddr4 ram.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
Yes that graphics card input has 24 slots, Im not even gonna look at the psu, I dont wanna risk it anyway, Im just going to buy 550W but dont know if I can find it..

Ok now, I already chose a new pc case but before ordering it, then I should check if its PSU case dimensions for the 550w one is correct?

If I can find and buy a 550w Psu, bigger and well ventilated case who matches up with the psu and a motherboard. Will it be ok?

Last edited:
We are not mind readers.
Explicitly, what is the make/model/brand of your graphics card?
What is the make/model of the case you want?

Graphics cards do not have input slots. what does that 24 refer to?

Do you have a link as to where you will buy parts?

Jan 9, 2021
We are not mind readers.
Explicitly, what is the make/model/brand of your graphics card?
What is the make/model of the case you want?

Graphics cards do not have input slots. what does that 24 refer to?

Do you have a link as to where you will buy parts?

Sorry but I guess you didnt read my answer to the graphics card question above, regardless it is Asus Oc Dual rtx 2060 6Gb.

And for the case me and my brother wanted to go for an aesthetic approach :D
https://www.amazon.fr/SPIRIT-GAMER-Châssis-Gaming-Deathmatch/dp/B07FSX9BG7

We live in France so I guess Empire Gaming brand is a french company for gamers.

About 24 I really dont have any idea, I just counted the squares on this input on the graphics card:
IMG_20210110_185308.jpg

Sorry if Im bothering you with not enough information, but it's because I cant always know what should I provide beforehand unless you tell me so, eventually Im not as experienced as you. But thank you for the help!

The photo you are showing is of a dvi-D output port.
A cable connects that to your monitor dvi input port.

The power connectors will be on the top .

The case looks to have a place for a standard ATX power supply.
Most modern cases do.
The exceptions are very small cases.
You are probably ok there.

On the psu, do not buy a cheap unit.
Here is a guide to psu quality:

Jan 9, 2021
Thank you very much its very nice of you to help a person in distress until the end. I really appreciate it.
The only question I have right now is:

- What changes the bios uefi to one who is compatible with rtx graphics card?

- and the Windows thingy but I think we'll just see what happens with that

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
If I dont change my Dell mobo at all, just the case and psu will do? because as you guys say if every graphics card is compatible with every motherboard then why did it overlap with those inputs?