Cheap Custom Gaming PC

BlueElephant

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hi everybody, I have recently ordered my parts for a custom build. Out of interest, i have been comparing the prices of custom made PC's on sites and seeing how much of a rip off they are :).
Anyway alot of them are, however i found a deal on for people that are not willing to custom build yet still is cheap and a great gaming pc (australia), i thought i would share it as well as the nearest comparison for custom building.
Here is the deal on - $1499 for a 280x water cooled gaming system - including the build and testing
The nearest build to this (slightly different motherboard, $1 more expensive and MSI branded GPU) comes in at $1489 - $10 less, although in shipping it will cost more.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($239.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($95.00 @ PLE Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($130.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($105.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($415.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1489.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-30 00:38 EST+1100)

This looks like an awesome build for people not so willing to 'risk' custom building so i thought i would share it.

the motherboard is a 970 chipset while yours is a 990. going with 990 opens up a few more options.

however that doesnt look to be a bad deal at all considering. what i like most is how they list every single part they use in detail. they are not hiding anything like most brands tend to try and do. you know exactly what you are getting for the money.

thanks for the heads up.

BlueElephant

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
yeah i thought if somebody not confident enough to build might like this offer (although it ends on the 31st).
The motherboard was not available anymore on any sites that i could find, in their list their prices are too much but they say you get a 'combo' discount, basically you are paying $10 extra for instalation and the check of the systems compared to making it yourself. The DVD/CD player/burner is a samsung but there wasn't one available so i went the cheapest - that could add on the $10 difference.
I would say the only downside is that you cannot choose your OS. Also i checked and taking it from Sydney to Perth (across country) was only $57 but buying them seperatly would probably make a larger sum.

well, i'm not sure about aus but here in the usa most parts have free shipping except cases and perhaps a few odds and ends.

its not a downside for the os. windows 7 is a better choice than 8. i've had the opportunity to use 8 and its a pain in the ass.

that doesnt seem like terrible pricing for shipping considering distance. more than you would probably pay for individual parts but not bad at all.

the good price is likely a promotion offer.

BlueElephant

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
they have their own "mwave" branded computers then other brands, their mwaves are pretty cheap and consistantly cheap (looking at most of their offers), however the higher end ones will opt for top of the line i7's and gtx 760's, 770's at max - sort of overkill in the CPU's.
Shipping is terrible in AUS, they will almost never give free shipping except on an OS.. possibly. I guess it's not a big enough business in AUS yet.
I feel as if i'm advertising Mwave lol!

i guess we are spoiled here in the usa.

prices are normally low, free shipping, many choices, etcetera

i know when people always ask for builds in aud in aus i'm always horrified at the prices :p

BlueElephant

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
when i first thought of building a pc i looked at the pcpartpicker in the US.. then i switched to au after realising - i thought it was a different currency for a while, a basic build was like 30% more expensive!
There is also alot less options and shipping on everything.
I just saw your build, how many games do you have on those ten shelves?

not games. movies. only the shelf space above the chest of drawers is games although i do have some tucked away in a few containers here and there.

its over 1,000 titles (boxes) though since many are series i'd hav to say at least 3,000 disks if not more. i could watch movies 24/7 for a year and still have more left over. the bottom 5 shelves are all animation. i have a bit of an obsession i suppose.

BlueElephant

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
wow my movie collection consists of: The Smurfs, Riddick and Game of Thrones Season 1+2, how long have you been collecting? thats an impresive amount of DVDs.

i would have to say since about 2003.

i have most of them organized in an access database but i'm trying to get some people more skilled in access than me to help me create a dvd organization program.

one thing you must understand: we havent had network television for 15 years. no satelite/cable tv and it was only last year that we finally got high speed internet since it simply was not available before then. having a large collection meant more entertainment choices. now with the internet i have double the choices available to me.

BlueElephant

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Must of been tough without television!
In Australia our internet is alright if you live close enough to the city (they're rolling out optic fibre with crazy speeds). I live around 50km out and i get 200kb/s speeds over cable but 70MB/s over 4g Connectivity.. it's abit strange how they've set everything out.

Now with internet you have 1000x more choices available to you lol, just make sure you don't go down the road of pirating.