Cheap memory running faster. Should I be alarmed?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have some of that synchmax memory and its only supposed to be CAS3. Its a 256 meg dimm and gives me decent performance so I decided to try CAS2 even though it said not supported. So on my A7V I put the settings to 2:2:2 and upon first reboot my computer kept beeping at me so I knew it probably didn't work so I rebooted and my bios came up saying there was a problem and it said the settings were set to 3:3:3 for that purpose so I gave up and figured something was wrong. THEN I put it to By SPD which should have put it on normal and then all of a sudden the settings were 2:2:2 again. SOOOO I figured what the hell I'll reboot and see how it goes. After saving bios and rebooting with the new setting everything is fine. My computer is running a fraction faster than before, and I think its great.

After all this I'm just curious if its bad for the memory because it isnt supported, and didn't work the first time. The last thing I want is my 256 megs of ram to melt down or something crazy like that.
Any recommendations are welcomed

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
It may be a bios error. It may be running at default speed and its tellling you 2:2:2. Not sure though, not the best authority on mobos or their drivers. Keep the case open for a while and keep an eye on the ram temp.

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think its actually running at that speed cause its all running faster. Everything runs faster and loads faster.

I got 2 case fans blowing air into the case and one blowing air out, not to mention the fan on the power supply. And on my processor I have a Globalwin FOP38 which used to be noisey until I took the grate off and filled my case with sound proofing foam. That heat sinc fan moves a crap load of air. Even over the memory.

G

I luv my fop38! My comp is right under my loft, and the fan helps me to sleep at night.:) And also...my heater doesn't work and my tbird raised my room temp by 3 degrees.=) I luv AMD!! Of course...I guess that heat could be seen as a bad thing for some...but hey, I'm all for blessings in disguise.:)

Oh yeah. I have cheap pc133 cas2 7ns. I run it at 100mhz stably...133 causes various programs to crash.:p

TRENDING THREADS