Cheap PCIe SATA III controller for a fast SSD

romansoft

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi,

I've got a fast SSD (Crucial MX300 SSD 750GB), which is ~500 MB/s read&write (sequential), and I need to buy a SATA III controller for it (I only need 1 SATA port). My Mobo has a free PCIe 3.0 slot.

My first attempt was a Syba controller (Syba SI-PEX40061):
http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=147
(chipset: Marvell 88SE9120).

Being PCI-e 2.0 x1, I thought it should be suitable for 500 MB/ full-duplex speeds (shouldn't be?).

But I have returned it because I only managed to get ~350 MB/s write (read is not bad: ~440 MB/s). :-/ I don't know if the problem is x1 or maybe the chipset is not so powerful.

I know that I should be worried more about random 4k read/write IO than sequetial read/writes but despite that, I don't like the idea of being limited by the controller.

Would you recommend me a cheap (~30 eur?) PCIe (v2|v3) SATA III card which doesn't limit my SSD throughput?

It will be for a microserver running ESXi but I don't mind not to be in vmware's HCL (vmw_ahci shoud work).

The controller doesn't need to have RAID; just to permit a bootable SSD.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Cheers,
-r

romansoft

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I returned the card, so I cannot re-test. But seems very strange that the problem is the cable :-?

It should be the same to use a sata-ii or sata-iii cable:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance-Revisited-183/

Regarding your propossed card, seems barely the same (same chipset, etc) as the one I bought (and returned :)).

Some sata II cables can get away with sata iii speeds, some will not. There are cables tested to sata iii standards.

If your motherboard has PCI 3.0 ports then you must have SATA III ports nativly on the motherboard.

Why cant you use that for the SSD and plug theother devices into a sata card and then it wont matter one bit if it is sata II or III for magnetic HDD or optical drives.

romansoft

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I want to do PCI passthru (VT-d) of original controller to a VM (ESXi) because I'm building a virtualized NAS (xpenology).

So I need a new controller for the "OS Disk" + VMs and it should be fast.