Cheapest GTX option to run 6 or 8 monitors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hi,

Through a friend I will have 8 or 10 monitors by the end of the next week. I am already running 4 monitors as I write this. It has been a boyhood dream to run a massive set of monitors on a single computer, so I see this as the perfect opportunity to fulfil this wish.

Now I was wondering what my best options are. I've been digging around the GTX website as well as Tweakers (Dutch website for anything IT-related, such as reviews and a pricewatch) and I'm not really sure what to do. As for now I am running 2x GTX 650 without SLI so they don't work together and as you can probably imagine, that is not the best performance one can hope for. On these two GPU's I am running 4 monitors, 2x 27" and 2x 22".

This weekend I will be building a new desk that is able to hold a lot of monitors (more than 10) for my room, so space is not an issue.

Now my question is what you guys would advice me as my best option. I have only 2 working GPU slots in my motherboard so I can not run 3 graphical cards. I am not planning to play games on these monitors as this setup is solely work-related.

I've noticed the GTX 760 Ti claims to have 4 monitor output slots. Does this also mean all 4 can be used, thus resulting in 8 if two are used?

Is it possible to bridge (if I have to) the cards even if there is an empty mothrboard GPU slot inbetween them? I've never used a bridge before.

So, my main question: what would be my cheapest option to run 6 (or 8, if possible) monitors on just graphical cards (no USB graphic adapters, they don't work as good as I was hoping previously).

If it's important to know, I will have the following monitors available:
1x ultrawide 29" in the center or on-top of the rest
2x 27"
4x 24"
2x 22"
1x 20"

Thanks a lot,

Jasper

Eggz

Distinguished
I'm 99% sure that you can. I've run independent monitors on my differing cards: the 780 ti and the 750 ti. It worked fine. That extra 1% is because I didn't use multiple outputs on both cards at the same time because I didn't have enough monitors.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Thanks. I'll make sure to report back with results!

Sadly AdviserKulikov thinks my PSU is unable to take the new GPU so not sure how long til I can report back. :??:

Eggz

Distinguished
I think 700 w should be enough based on the Johny Guru website

Here's the graph (click it for link to original article)

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
It's not about the amount of Watt, but about the power cables. :D
It just arrived so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm afraid he's right since I only have 2 outputs for the cables in my PSU afaik.

Eggz

Distinguished
Oh, that stinks. If the power comes from the same rail, you can get cable splitters; otherwise, just get a new PSU. The Corsair AX 760 is a decent price for a very reliable and efficient PSU with plenty of cabling options. It's modular, so you only plug in what you need. EVGA Supernovas are pretty good too, and also modular.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

No idea what a rail is, honestly.

I have a cable splitter, it was shipped along with the GPU: http://i.imgur.com/L62orjQ.jpg.
Can I use that to split the 6 pin cable for the new GPU? (new GPU takes 1x 6 pins and 1x 8 pins)

If not, then I also have an unused 6-pin Molex input in my PSU (I only use 3 out of 4 right now). Can I use this to power my GTX 650 from?

P.S. Typing this from the new GPU :D

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Correct. I have one 6-pin and one 8-pin (6+2) cable that came with the PSU. The new GPU I purchased requires both an 8pin and an 6-pin, so sadly it takes both of them! And to make clear, the issue here is that my new GPU takes up all my PCI-e cables so my old GPU can not be connected.

I have 1 6-pin unused molex slot and I also came accross an unused 4-pin (molex?) cable coming directly from the PSU. Picture: http://i.imgur.com/KWjRVde.jpg. Does that help at all?

Eggz

Distinguished
Oh, that's a special version of the 960. Let's play with what you have, but return it for a normal version if this doesn't work and you want to avoid replacing the PSU.

Try the splittler. I think that card comes with one. You don't need the extra power unless you're going to do a crazy overclock, which won't do all that much anyway. The idea would be to run only one plug form the PSU to the new card because you have the cable splittler. Then use the other line from the PSU for the old card.

Just try to see what you can do. There's enough power so your shouldn't have a problem.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

I'd rather replace the PSU than the GPU to be honest. :)

So you're suggesting I use this converter to give the new PSU's 8-pin actually 6-pin? Kinda hard to explain, i'll try with pictures:

This is the converter I have (shipped along with GPU):
Male: http://i.imgur.com/t6xPS88.jpg
Female: http://i.imgur.com/R4nn5km.jpg
Are you suggesting I put the male (8 pins) in my GPU or in my PSU?

Eggz

Distinguished
Hmm, didn't realize that was the pin setup that came with the card. I was just suggesting to try different combinations of cable and determine whether anything would allow you to power both cards. If not, then yeah, the cleanest solution is to just get a new PSU.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
This PSU will arrive tomorrow: http://www.alternate.nl/Cooler-Master/B700-700-Watt-voeding/html/product/1136521?

I'll update.

P.S. I can use the monitor outputs from both videocards even though they are a different chip and different manifacturer, right? So 4 from 1 GPU and 2 or 3 from the other.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Got it. Installed the PSU, tested with just one GPU (ASUS GTX 760 4GB) at first.

At first it was working really weird, but after a restart now everything seems to run very smooth. I'm very happy.

Will report back with pictures. Might take a few days or a week, maybe 2.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Yeah I would like to see the end result with all those monitors :)

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Ha, me too! It's been a dream for a long time now. :)

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

after a while, it becomes plain and normal to have 6+ monitors in front of you all the time. you get so used to it, that having just ONE or even two is kind of... lacking. it's like "wait, where IS everything???" i got so used to running 7 screens at home, that my laptop at work runs 2 extras via docking station and that feels about right. undocking and having just one when walking around feels tiny.

Eggz

Distinguished

#spoiled

:lol:

crank1948

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
I'm using a very nice IOGear USB video card running a really junk monitor at 1024 x 768 but it could go higher; never had any problems. Windows 8.1 x64 always updated the IOGear driver quite well, to my surprise and happiness. You could get many monitors by using several of these IOGear devices running out of powered USB hubs (use only 4-bangers, though) -- but, first, test to see if the IOGear device worked by plugging it into one port of the powered USB hub. The monitor gets it power from the wall and driver power (signal) used by the IOGear can easily be handled by the 4-port USB hub's 5 volts. If the IOGear worked from the hub, then you could have many monitors.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Extra cables should arrive shortly. After making sure they work, I am going to build a new L-shaped desk and break half my room so I have extra space. :)

Interesting! I am actually running a single 24" monitor from an USB adapter right now and it runs surprisingly well, actually. I can watch video's on it without any lag at all or whatsoever.

castl3bravo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Another technical discussion appears to be missing from this discussion of multiple monitors. I've noticed with GTX SLI using multiple monitors for gaming means they have to be as identical as possible. If the EDID codes from the monitors aren't agreeable to the GTX's driver then framebuffer gaming won't be possible, at least for me. I'm only able to use Borderless mode in BF4 to game on 3 monitors. Gaming through multi-monitors within a single framebuffer might be easier with Radeon cards, but I haven't tried that.