Cheapest GTX option to run 6 or 8 monitors

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hi,

Through a friend I will have 8 or 10 monitors by the end of the next week. I am already running 4 monitors as I write this. It has been a boyhood dream to run a massive set of monitors on a single computer, so I see this as the perfect opportunity to fulfil this wish.

Now I was wondering what my best options are. I've been digging around the GTX website as well as Tweakers (Dutch website for anything IT-related, such as reviews and a pricewatch) and I'm not really sure what to do. As for now I am running 2x GTX 650 without SLI so they don't work together and as you can probably imagine, that is not the best performance one can hope for. On these two GPU's I am running 4 monitors, 2x 27" and 2x 22".

This weekend I will be building a new desk that is able to hold a lot of monitors (more than 10) for my room, so space is not an issue.

Now my question is what you guys would advice me as my best option. I have only 2 working GPU slots in my motherboard so I can not run 3 graphical cards. I am not planning to play games on these monitors as this setup is solely work-related.

I've noticed the GTX 760 Ti claims to have 4 monitor output slots. Does this also mean all 4 can be used, thus resulting in 8 if two are used?

Is it possible to bridge (if I have to) the cards even if there is an empty mothrboard GPU slot inbetween them? I've never used a bridge before.

So, my main question: what would be my cheapest option to run 6 (or 8, if possible) monitors on just graphical cards (no USB graphic adapters, they don't work as good as I was hoping previously).

If it's important to know, I will have the following monitors available:
1x ultrawide 29" in the center or on-top of the rest
2x 27"
4x 24"
2x 22"
1x 20"

Thanks a lot,

Jasper

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Castl3bravo, he is not going to be running SLI, nor is this setup for gaming.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

I don't think it's missing, considering this setup is not at all meant for gaming over multiple monitors. Besides, if you run SLI you will be unable to attach monitor output cables to the 2nd card, which defeats the whole purpose for me personally. :)

Desk is finished pretty much. Getting there!

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Thanks! I'm also very pleased with the outcome.

I ended up using a GTX 760 4GB card along with a GTX 650 2GB card. Not much configuring, really. Built the desk and cable management holders myself. :)

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Nice job on the cable management! That could have easily been a bird's nest under all those monitors.

JasperR

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Thanks!

I know right. It was all laying on the ground for like two weeks and it was pure hell. Now it's all connected to a single light switch which I put under my desk which turns of everything when I go to sleep (a lot of small leds in a dark room).

Latest posts