Question Cheapest, minimal option for DIY media server

Feb 16, 2019
Afternoon,

Recently I grew tired of loading my media on an external harddisk on my laptop and hooking it up on one of my TV's in order to watch the media or bringing it with me.
I've looked into Synology NAS solutions but I've always thought that a more powerful compact system could be made with better "bang for buck" than those solutions.
So Ive been considering building my own, compact, low power media servers.

I want to run it 24/7 and be able control my media files through the network on it and run apps like plex and sabnzb. Besides that, I want to be able to access the 1080p files (like my girlfriend's actioncam footage) on any internet-based device in the house, but also outside of the house. I can't see us using transcoding more than one 1080p/4k stream at the time though.

I live in the Netherlands, so our local prices may differ. What I've found so far is two simple mini builds using an ITX board:
Motherboard
Asrock J3455 mini-ITX
RAMCrucial CT102464BF160B
Power supplyMini-box picoPSU 80 + 60W Adapter Power Kit
CaseCooler Master Elite 110
OS hard-driveKingston A400 120GB

Total cost around 260 euro.

Or a different motherboard build with seperate CPU like this:
MotherboardGigabyte B360N WIFI (rev 1.0)
CPU
Intel Pentium Gold G5400 Boxed
RAM
G.Skill Value F4-2400C15S-8GNT
Power Supply
Mini-box picoPSU 80 + 60W Adapter Power Kit
Case
Cooler Master Elite 110
OS Hard-drive
Kingston A400 120GB

(Build in WiFi for easy streaming and better cpu) Total cost around 340 euro.

This leaves me to the following questions:
  1. I won't be using over 2 SATA TB drives, so will this power supply be enough?
  2. While these build may seem alright, the problem is that the prices for the components all add up quickly and the total price is already coming close to that of a dedicated NAS. Is there somewhere I can cut costs?
  3. I've read people using an old SFF desktop like a Dell Optiplex for this (secondhand around 100 euro here). Would this do the trick as well or would the higher annual power costs of such a system quickly make up for the money I save initially?

Feb 16, 2019
From what I understand The Raspberry Pi (3b+) is a good media plex server but more like a player. As long as you don't need to transcode streams. Besides, It will not serve properly to run apps like Sabnzb at the same time. So I'm afraid it only suits half my needs.

Thanks for the suggestion though!