Cheated out of autosig space

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, this one is a bit frivolous, but would it be possible to save the autosigs in a unicode format instead of in HTML-ized text? I mean we only get so many characters to work with, and characters like the ones in یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ end up taking uber amounts of space instead of being treated as one character each. I'm guessing by the size consumption that they're being stored in the HTML-tag format for displaying unicode characters instead of actually being stored as unicode characters, making each one unicode char take up like 6 or 7 ascii chars in my case. & # 1 2 3 ;

If true, that probably also means that newline chars that should be single chars are instead taking up four chars for the < br > tag.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
:lol: :lol: :lol: Right. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I wonder how difficult it would be to store all text (or at least autosig text) in Unicode and convert it for HTML after retrieval. I know that I've written stuff like that in Python for handling IUCR-CIF markup to Unicode and to HTML, but then Python is such a cool programming language. 8)