[SOLVED] Check Disk didn't Fix File Index Issue

eviLocK

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
I have a Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300 hard drive.

There were media files corrupted, where one video file when plays displays a different video of another file. I assume file indexes are corrupted.

I ran error-checking using "Automatically fix file system errors." It found many errors on my drive but it didn't fix the problem. The problems remain as video files still don't play themselves right. I ran bad sector check and there was no problem on the disc.

What can I do now?

Solution
No I don't convert videos.

I suspect the problem came from my external docking bay but I am confident to say I try to undock it properly each time of using. If I do have other spare hard drives to play around, I would like to test them on my docker for science.

I just bought another hard drive and transfer all my file copied my entire old hard drive tot the new one. The problem sadly remains.

Copy just a single file to another system see what happens, not all of them. With all those file system issues it could be possible than the file index got messed up so it is pointing to different files. Once you sort out what the movies actually are, you should be able to rename the files so they match the movie. But I suggest you...
I have a Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300 hard drive.

There were media files corrupted, where one video file when plays displays a different video of another file. I assume file indexes are corrupted.

I ran error-checking using "Automatically fix file system errors." It found many errors on my drive but it didn't fix the problem. The problems remain as video files still don't play themselves right. I ran bad sector check and there was no problem on the disc.

What can I do now?

Copy one of those videos to another drive, does it play normally? Nothing happened before this issue like you did a file restore on some deleted files? Only times I have seen this happen is when there was an issue with merging cut up video files (zip file corrupted) or after a recovery of deleted files or when converting an video failed.

eviLocK

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
not sure then. what do you suggest?

where the video from? just the name is wrong? someone change them?
could be just corrupted file. restore from backup or redownload/recreate them.
My corruption is that Video A will play Video B in corrupted manner (i.e. like cable box pay--per-view statics). I don't know where to find original Video B to check to see what happens, since I don't know the name of Video B.

eviLocK

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Copy one of those videos to another drive, does it play normally? Nothing happened before this issue like you did a file restore on some deleted files? Only times I have seen this happen is when there was an issue with merging cut up video files (zip file corrupted) or after a recovery of deleted files or when converting an video failed.

I suspect the problem came from my external docking bay but I am confident to say I try to undock it properly each time of using. If I do have other spare hard drives to play around, I would like to test them on my docker for science.

I just bought another hard drive and transfer all my file copied my entire old hard drive tot the new one. The problem sadly remains.

eviLocK

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
upload a few screen shot to imgur.com and post the link here
Q9bNqBq.png

Copy just a single file to another system see what happens, not all of them. With all those file system issues it could be possible than the file index got messed up so it is pointing to different files. Once you sort out what the movies actually are, you should be able to rename the files so they match the movie. But I suggest you start with copying a single move to a different drive, then play it and see what it plays. If it's another movie, change the file name to the correct movie. Then find that movie you just named on the old drive, copy that over. Play it. Change the name again to what it is. And so on.

Solution