Check out Crytek's Latest Work on CryEngine 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Now using current high end hardware, render a city scene with many people and vehicles. If that cant be done then it will be years before most gamers will have hardware that can make use of the engine.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Annisman[/nom]Just wish they bothered to make Crysis 2 anywhere near this, lazy console lovers...[/citation]
It's not being lazy, it's being a software developer. You can't keep talent if you don't pay them, and if you aren't selling games you won't have anything to pay them.

Vid looks good to me, but it should considering it's being run "real time" on high powered workstations. We'll see what it'll look like when it's actually released.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
lets take this step by step.

0:00 - 0:15 unimpressive, you have grass trees and a person with background objects too...
0:15 - 0:25 this is nice, in a mod sense. also for easier development.
0:25 - 0:39 cant comment, im not in the industry so i don't see what is impressive here.
0:40 - 0:49 nothing impressive here, they are showing trees, shadows, dof, and a person you never see close up. you want me excited about trees, show me the wire frame and how much of them are flat images to give an illusion.
0:50 - 1:30 FIRST MILDLY IMPRESSIVE THING. take out the car, and the building, this is showing off reflections and lighting. current gen CONSOLE hardware can make a real looking car, and a real looking building, but this lighting? i wish they would have had it in a less... canned way of showing it off.
1:31 - 1:46 i believe they are showing off 40+ balls not 40+ people. as i have no idea what a current mocap requires i cant comment,
1:47 - 1:56 i cant comment because i dont see whats special about what they are showing off.
1:57 - 2:45 i see nothing impressive, they are attempting to show off a graphics engine by showing off a car, which makes no sense, and even less sense in a closed room. the lighting that was shown earlier was more impressive than the end.

the unreal 3 recent engine demo was FAR more impressive than this given that it showed off a person, something FAR harder to do than a car, and gave it a non canned feel. that tech demo looked like a trailer for a game, not just something there to show off the engine.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
[citation][nom]Formata[/nom]I'm liking all this blurred 'depth of field' stuff with this demo and the Unreal one.[/citation]

That "blurred depth of field" is called bokeh. It's on of my favorite effects when doing photo shoots.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I just cannot believe how many of you are so unimpressed with this Crytech or the Unreal Engine(Keep in mind how many years this has been in development). You must have been spoiled by having the latest and greatest all the time, especially alidan, you were that unimpressed you were inspired to write that? I thought both these engines are amazing and it shows that there is still hope for the future of PC gaming.

If your having problems understanding my view, power up your old P4 system, load up Wolfenstein 3D or Doom and prepair to be impressed :)

Looks great! actually, it looks like graphics in some of the next gen games are getting closer to photo realism.
The Realtime graphics shown used to be only possible in a cinematic video.
The downside: Looks like I'll be needing a newer video card. My HD4870 won't pull out graphics like those.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
It shows lot of metal textures, which are the easier to draw. Only newbies are fooled by it.
Just look at the floor under the car. It looks like plastic.

See all the floors. All flat, single texture. The cheat named "depth of field" blurs it so it does not look as fake as really it's.

An impressive cinema demo should do human skin.

The introductory scene is crap. Vegetation turns very fast to a single, ugly-colored texture. No detail. Looks very bad. Really, really bad.

It's a step back from Far Cry 2 and Crysis 1

G

unlike UE3 this isn't running on 2000$ hardware - its running parallel on xbox360, ps3 AND pc hardware - check on gametrailers.com if you want to see some more of these techdemos - this video is about the *making*, its not aimed at gamers but at possible licensees...

f-14

Distinguished
very little was moving objects, the last demos of cry engine 3 the animation was not smooth like it should be. what is the movement capture rate of the motion capture sensors? definetly not enough frames per second or enough motion capture sensors. i think it's the clothing the unitard suit does not capture the clothing movement over the body or wind thru the leaves and grass very well. it doesn't help the trees were blowing side to side while the leaves were falling back to front or verticle if that was the zoom.
those are the things that bug me the most.
maybe i'm too picky. but a lighting capture system needs to be developed much like the mo-caps. then things would start to look real.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]Crytek just kicked UE3 (3.9714 pi r squared) in the junk.Everything in that UE3 video, even the cigarette, looked like it was molded in plastic.[/citation]
I second that.

Status
Not open for further replies.