Cherry MX Silent Switches Get Black Version, Exit Corsair Exclusivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKlown

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
How is this different from installing o-rings on your non-silent switches? Is it quieter, or mostly the same?

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I've had a Corsair keyboard with these for a while. They have no resistance, so the bottom-out sound is very loud. Had to install O-Rings on it regardless. With the O-Rings, it's not too bad. Still not as quiet as a membrane though.

DonPhelippe

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
Sorry to burst your bubble but these Silent Red switches have already been licensed and used by Filco (or rather Diatec - Japan who is the company behind the Filco brand), although probably for copyright reasons they call them Cherry MX Pink.

I know this firsthand since I already own two of them Cherry MX Pink keyboards (typing on one of them right now).

To those who ask about O-Rings: O-Rings reduce the travel (hence you bottom out earlier on) and kinda dampen the noise. Here, noise is NON existant. If you soft type on them you hear ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, like, your breath makes more noise. If you bottom out you do indeed travel the 4 mm that is the Cherry MX travel length of the keyboard but you hear a muffled "thuck" sound, heavy and not annoying at all, very very low on the register and volume.

They are a miracle to behold in an open office environment because they actually make less noise than e.g. the classic MS membrane keyboards that many offices use. Yeah, you heard right, they are MORE silent than membrane keyboards. For that alone, it's worth the price of admission.

For more relevance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4tn9oo/are_these_cherry_mx_switches_new_pink_silent/

and here is my keyboard when it first arrived some time ago, minutes before plugging it in:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5hdmh0/its_here_and_by_the_gods_its_silent/

Status
Not open for further replies.