News Chia Mining Craze Easing, But HDD Pricing Still Rising

mogster

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Why did you only look at internal drives? External drives like WD's Elements/Easystore can be easily shucked and used internally for Chia storage, or even used as-is once plotting is complete.

Reactions: vmem
Why did you only look at internal drives? External drives like WD's Elements/Easystore can be easily shucked and used internally for Chia storage, or even used as-is once plotting is complete.

Great point! I'll first admit that I am one of those WD element shuckers and have been using them to fill my synology unit for years now

That aside, I'll attempt at responding to your point. Harddrives all cause vibration and those vibrations add up if you attempt to mount a bunch of them on a shelf or rack. If you put enough of them together, their vibrations will eventually add up to a harmonic wave shaking the entire rack and dramatically increasing the failure rate of your drives (so a lot of antivibration work will be needed). the failure point for consumer drives is around 5-10 drives, whereas with purpose built internal drives that failure point tend to be a lot higher with built in vibration resistant mechanisms inside of the drives.

Reactions: mogster
Jul 13, 2021
Great point! I'll first admit that I am one of those WD element shuckers and have been using them to fill my synology unit for years now

That aside, I'll attempt at responding to your point. Harddrives all cause vibration and those vibrations add up if you attempt to mount a bunch of them on a shelf or rack. If you put enough of them together, their vibrations will eventually add up to a harmonic wave shaking the entire rack and dramatically increasing the failure rate of your drives (so a lot of antivibration work will be needed). the failure point for consumer drives is around 5-10 drives, whereas with purpose built internal drives that failure point tend to be a lot higher with built in vibration resistant mechanisms inside of the drives.
You'd have a point about "purpose built drives" except for the fact that shucked Element/EasyStore drives are literally WD Red drives meaning they have identical vibration protection. Chia miners have obviously taken to the shuck method because seemingly even more so than normal HDDs the prices have moonshot. Look at shucks.top for reference.