News China Semiconductor Manufacturing CEO Says Sanctions Barely Hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Are we talking about the same Lam Research who's quarterly revenue is still higher than it was before the pandemic "chip spike"?

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
And while it may be true that China is 5 generations behind leading-edge tech (which it increasingly seems like it isn't)
Talking about it, Huawei has released the Mate 60 Pro with a Kirin 9000s, which is fairly interesting. Some have argued that it's nothing more than a variation of the Kirin 9000 that were manufactured by TSMC before the US sanctions went into effect, but it uses ARM's A-510 architecture that was only launched in 2021, after the sanctions forced TSMC to stop doing its business with Huawei at the behest of Uncle Joe.

I think it's kind of weird that this outlet, just like some other US based tech news website, hasn't covered its launch.

Mois Bernadotte

Prominent
Oct 9, 2022
Talking about it, Huawei has released the Mate 60 Pro with a Kirin 9000s, which is fairly interesting. Some have argued that it's nothing more than a variation of the Kirin 9000 that were manufactured by TSMC before the US sanctions went into effect, but it uses ARM's A-510 architecture that was only launched in 2021, after the sanctions forced TSMC to stop doing its business with Huawei at the behest of Uncle Joe.

I think it's kind of weird that this outlet, just like some other US based tech news website, hasn't covered its launch.
There's nothing to report. SMIC is using unbanned equipment.
(TWINSCAN NXT: 2000i ban takes effect next January)

Mois Bernadotte

Prominent
Oct 9, 2022
As belated as it is, it looks like there's something to report, actually:
And I guess I can be happy with it.
There's a sense of anxiety in the community about semiconductor development in China.
This anxiety is unnecessary.
China has a certain chip design capability. But that's all about it.
The process relies on the United States, the Netherlands, Japan, Germany and France for equipment, components and raw materials.

However, there are areas of concern.
We are experimenting with a new system of embargoes that is different from COCOM.
At that time, in the old COCOM system, only bulk commodities (ores, oil and gas) were traded with each other.
Any consumer goods or manufactured goods could only be smuggled.
Nowadays, the BIS list system expands the scope of trade.
It is possible to buy all commodities except "military industrial goods".

There's no precedent before.
The main point is : There may be difficulties of distinguish(military application or nor) in some places.
So when we move some manufacturing to cheap labor areas . Our embargo costs went up.
Ultimately it depends on whether Europe and North America as a whole are willing to take on inflation (when you give some of your products to local workers to produce), and if that's the case, things will be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.