News Chinese Developers Claim World's Fastest Quantum Computer

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
"Quantum computer chips have to be cooled down to 273.15ºC and this temperature has to be maintained "

Well to be fair it should be cooler than a pizza oven, but that's still over 500F

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
"Quantum computer chips have to be cooled down to 273.15ºC and this temperature has to be maintained "

Well to be fair it should be cooler than a pizza oven, but that's still over 500F

Haha, the article forgotten the - (minus sign). Btw, its impossible to achieve -273.15C because that would be 0K. We can only go close to it.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
why does people only care about gaming on ridiculously fast (and ridiculously weird) hardware like servers and quantum computers?

If you want gaming-capable quantum hardware, I'd say there's a full decade of work to do, for now, it's only experiments.

eichwana

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
why does people only care about gaming on ridiculously fast (and ridiculously weird) hardware like servers and quantum computers?

If you want gaming-capable quantum hardware, I'd say there's a full decade of work to do, for now, it's only experiments.

Think about it like this: what can be realistically be done with this today, or next week, or next year? How would it compare for the majority of people’s uses, and what would they use it for?

At the moment it’s all about experimenting, and they talk about how it can be used for calculations that would take years, but what would that realistically mean for us little people who just go about their daily lives?

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
but what would that realistically mean for us little people who just go about their daily lives?
I created a general purpose algorithm for optimal set generation that would be much better suited to quantum computers. Here are just a few example problems I solved:
  1. Given a bus full of children, generate assigned seats to maximize peace based on whether individual children like or dislike each other.
  2. Given a dining room full of same-size tables, generate a seating chart based on individual cohort preferences.
  3. Given a country with 48 individual states that either share or do not share a border with each other, determine whether a 3 color map can be drawn.

Even a modern PC would struggle to find optimal solutions to the above problems with more than a few hundred elements. Good AI systems for simulations and games would benefit from real-time solutions to these types of problems. Realization of this technology is also where 'Sky Net' scenarios come from, as the optimal solutions to problems cannot be easily binned into good/evil.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Yep minor error there. I think you meant -273.15C which is near 0 Kelvin. The state at which even electrons spin stops. Makes them easier than read. Usually achieved through some type of magnetic field flux alternation.
Updated text to add the minus sign, as well as note it's "near absolute zero" (pretty sure the QCs don't run at absolute zero, but close to it). Cheers.

eichwana

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
I created a general purpose algorithm for optimal set generation that would be much better suited to quantum computers. Here are just a few example problems I solved:
  1. Given a bus full of children, generate assigned seats to maximize peace based on whether individual children like or dislike each other.
  2. Given a dining room full of same-size tables, generate a seating chart based on individual cohort preferences.
  3. Given a country with 48 individual states that either share or do not share a border with each other, determine whether a 3 color map can be drawn.
Even a modern PC would struggle to find optimal solutions to the above problems with more than a few hundred elements. Good AI systems for simulations and games would benefit from real-time solutions to these types of problems. Realization of this technology is also where 'Sky Net' scenarios come from, as the optimal solutions to problems cannot be easily binned into good/evil.

This is the first time I’ve had a relevant answer, so thank you.

Usually people go on about breaking passwords and other things like that. Yes being able to access that excel file I password protected 4 years ago and no longer remember the password is nice, but it’s been 4 years - it can’t have been important enough to not access it in that time.