Chkdsk, no drivers for HDD

Leigh 45

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Hello,
I have a new computer w/o OS. I have tried to install XP, but get to the point where windows is ready to open, and get the message - shut down to protect system. then blue screen suggests run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption. I can't run CHKDSK since I can't boot up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

you have a new computer but want to install an 11 year old operating system?? Okay...
if you did a fresh installation of windows and the installation failed then you most likely have a defective component in the computer like a SATA data cable or perhaps the SATA drive itself.

Leigh 45

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

I need to install XP in order to upgrade to W7. Is it possible that the drivers for the HDD are corrupted or not installed. I checked the cables. they are connected. I have drivers for HDD controller. Is it possible to install them without having the OS installed first.

Leigh 45

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
There was only one response, and no reply to my added info. The system did not seem to accept XP, so I tried the W7 upgrade disk, and was able to make it work. There was no problem with hardware.