[SOLVED] Choosing a microphone for streaming on a budget

arturukas14

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
Hello, I am currently searching for a budget microphone for streaming.

I need a Dynamic Cardioid microphone because theres a TV in my room in front of me.

My current find is Behringer XM-8500
Problem is, its an XLR and I dont have a USB Interface for it. I heard that using adapter from XLR to 3.5mm will greatly ruin the quality. But USB Interfaces are not cheap and i have no knowledge about them.

My research told me that if i cannot afford xlr to usb interface then a USB mic is the only way to go.

Can someone suggest me:
*What is the best course of action in my situation
*Maybe someone knows cheap and not trash USB interface for a stable xlr connection
*Maybe theres a very good USB cardioid dynamic mic on a budget that i have not found
*Maybe my research is bad and xlr to 3.5mm is not that bad after all?

Would also be awesome if someone knows a cheap but not total garbage mic stand/arm dont know what its actualy called.
Massive kudos if someone knows like an all in one option like for example i found
Fifine T669 set which is not bad BUT its condencer mic and will not help me with my TV situation sadly....

Thank you very much in advance for even attempting to help me !

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If anyone is interested after even more research i decided to order the Samson Q2u its a 60 euro mic that can be both usb and xlr and its dynamic cardioid that fits perfectly to what i needed and it also comes with a little stand and windscreen for plosives (though i would prefer a pop filter) while also sounding pretty nice. All reviews i could possibly find on YT are very positive on it.

Thanks anyway to everyone that tried to help me

Lutfij

Titan
We'll need a little more information. Where are you located, what is your budget and what is your preferred site for purchase? You could look into Audiotechnica equipment but they might not be within...budget. Yamaha's make some great USB interface's for XLR equipment and are good for streamers or audio content creators but they are about 100USD.

You could look into sound deadening foam to factor in some noise cancellation in your room. You could also use audio baffles to help mitigate external unwanted noise sources. You sound like you're very frustrated with the tele in the other room.

arturukas14

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
We'll need a little more information. Where are you located, what is your budget and what is your preferred site for purchase? You could look into Audiotechnica equipment but they might not be within...budget. Yamaha's make some great USB interface's for XLR equipment and are good for streamers or audio content creators but they are about 100USD.

You could look into sound deadening foam to factor in some noise cancellation in your room. You could also use audio baffles to help mitigate external unwanted noise sources. You sound like you're very frustrated with the tele in the other room.

*I am from Lithuania
*MY TOTAL budget for setting a microphone up would be around 100 euros. (By that i mean mic stands and other stuff included preferably)
*My preferred site of purchase.. well I think anything that ships to Lithuania and does not ask for insane shipping price would work.

The TV is like 1 meter away from me behind my monitor and pc case so im not sure how well the foam would work. TV is a very big reason why I want a cardioid dynamic mic. if it wasnt the background noise i would probably buy the Fifine T669 set that i mentioned earlier. If i could manage to find a cardioid dynamic mic in a 100 euro set smth like the fifine one, it would be the best thing.

PS
My PC is less than a meter away from me so technically, I could use a very short XLR to 3.5mm cable if it makes a difference
Also, sorry for the bad word I used

Last edited:
Best cheapest mic with USB I think is the Blue Snowball (the higher price one, not the ICE), it has a switchable pickup pattern. If you want to keep the noise from the TV out of the mic you will need some extra work with baffles behind it to keep the TV audio from hitting it. Normally for external sounds you would use a headset to keep the noise out from speakers.

arturukas14

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
If anyone is interested after even more research i decided to order the Samson Q2u its a 60 euro mic that can be both usb and xlr and its dynamic cardioid that fits perfectly to what i needed and it also comes with a little stand and windscreen for plosives (though i would prefer a pop filter) while also sounding pretty nice. All reviews i could possibly find on YT are very positive on it.

Thanks anyway to everyone that tried to help me

Solution