Question choosing a power supply

Jul 24, 2024
Hello, I can't decide on a power supply. After watching some videos on YouTube, I found that some of the ones on this list have issues with loud noises.

1.be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850W ATX 3.0​

2.Gigabyte GP-UD850GM 850W 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.0​

3.be quiet! System power 10 850W 80 Plus Gold​

4.MSI MPG A850GF 850W 80 Plus Gold​

5.Corsair RMe Series 2023 RM850e 850W ATX 3.0​

Please recommend the best option from these power supplies, or if anyone has experience with one of them, could you provide a review?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Noise is going to come down to the load you put on it. 850W is about right for any 300ish W GPU. Big cards like the 4090 should have 1000W PSUs as a minimum.

I often recommend the Pure Power 12.

MSI when it is on sale is decent.

I'm still avoiding Gigabyte for the moment, just making sure any new old stock is gone on their problematic units. Though I don't believe the UD850GM was one of them.

System Power 10 would be a bit overkill for a lighter GPU and not enough for the upper mid-range. Better/Cheaper options in those situations.

Reactions: fawles5

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
I would stay away from the Pure Power 12M. It is multi-rail only, meaning under heavy load it may trip and shut down sooner than competing power supplies that can switch to single-rail for larger spikes in current.

Gigabyte PSU's are generally fine, but for your money I would stay away and grab something from a company with a better track record.

Be Quiet's System Power lineup are generally low end units; I would not go that route.

The MSI MPG is good, but again, I would go with something else. If you aren't needing ATX 3.0 support, I would grab the Corsair RM850x. It's 80+ Gold certified and has a 10 year warranty. Corsair has made power supplies for a long time and they have a strong track record. It's currently on sale for a little over 100 dollars, and it's what I would personally go with.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Best going for a gold 750watt than bronze 850watt.

You also want to check what your power draw is going to be, and pick accordingly. No point going for a massive PSU unnecessarily.

Also check it will fit your case.

Jul 24, 2024
I would stay away from the Pure Power 12M. It is multi-rail only, meaning under heavy load it may trip and shut down sooner than competing power supplies that can switch to single-rail for larger spikes in current.

Gigabyte PSU's are generally fine, but for your money I would stay away and grab something from a company with a better track record.

Be Quiet's System Power lineup are generally low end units; I would not go that route.

The MSI MPG is good, but again, I would go with something else. If you aren't needing ATX 3.0 support, I would grab the Corsair RM850x. It's 80+ Gold certified and has a 10 year warranty. Corsair has made power supplies for a long time and they have a strong track record. It's currently on sale for a little over 100 dollars, and it's what I would personally go with.
What do you think about the Corsair 850e? Is there a big difference between it and the Corsair 850x?

Jul 24, 2024
Noise is going to come down to the load you put on it. 850W is about right for any 300ish W GPU. Big cards like the 4090 should have 1000W PSUs as a minimum.

I often recommend the Pure Power 12.

MSI when it is on sale is decent.

I'm still avoiding Gigabyte for the moment, just making sure any new old stock is gone on their problematic units. Though I don't believe the UD850GM was one of them.

System Power 10 would be a bit overkill for a lighter GPU and not enough for the upper mid-range. Better/Cheaper options in those situations.
I also forgot to mention the Corsair 850e. What do you think about it? How does it compare to the Pure Power 12 in terms of quality?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Rm850x doesn't include 12VHPWR cables, they are sold separately. It is a fine PSU and what I use, though mine is the older 2016 model, but it is an additional added cost.

Pure Power 12 does have two 12V rails, and worst case they are only offering 480W. If you aren't plugging in a 450W GPU and then overclocking it, it should be okay. Still it is an ATX 3.1 rated supply, so it should be able to handle double rating power spikes for the specified times. Anything short of an RTX 4090 should work fine. Not a recommendation for top spec systems with Threadripper or i9-14900KS either.

RM850e is another adequate choice, when the price is right. I'm told the fan noise from this series can be somewhat loud, but that depends a lot on how loud the rest of your system is.

Right now the Seasonic GX-750 is a decent deal. RM750x Shift if you have the right chassis for sideways power connectors is alright.

Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 is decent, the GF A3 is to be avoided is my understanding.

And then the 850W versions of those.