[SOLVED] Choosing a RTX 2060 Super - Video Editing Rig

Jan 31, 2020
Hi. I'm building a video editing system and I'm trying to choose a GPU. I plan to use an NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super but I can't decide between different manufacturers builds, I will not be gaming at all and I'm not concerned with OC the CPU or GPU although I may try it sometime to process effects and render make quickly.

Some have said they choose between different makes of the same GPU model (e.g. 2060 S) based on heat-control, customer service, and warranty more than the factory OC speed. This makes sense but those high core clock numbers are still tempting!

I'm leaning toward something from EVGA... They've been suggested to me as a good manufacturer. I think they only have 3 models of 2060S so I could use advice on choosing one of those or maybe another make that is recommended. Of course, as always price is a concern... I'd like to keep it around USD 400 but will pay a bit more (up to 450 or so) if I really like the card. Thanks so much for your help!

Here's my other parts:

Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus TUF x570
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600
Samsung EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
EVGA Supernova G3 650w
Fractal Designs Meshify C

Solution
Hey there,

In your situation, I'd keep it pretty simple. Choose any card from a reputable brand, that has a min of two fans. Anything from EVGA/Asus/MSI/Gigabyte.

If you don't use it for gaming, the difference between cards become almost irrelevant. There are lots of different versions, OC/SC/SSC etc. All these acronyms only mean that the GPU's have different clockspeeds, which for you are unimportant. SO don't be sucked in by that. Some cards may have different connection ports, this may be relevant for you. But if you run 2-3 monitors, again you will be covered by any card you choose.

Although user reviews are useful, I wouldn't put much pass in them for the most part. ALL manufacturers will have failures, and ALL...
Hey there,

In your situation, I'd keep it pretty simple. Choose any card from a reputable brand, that has a min of two fans. Anything from EVGA/Asus/MSI/Gigabyte.

If you don't use it for gaming, the difference between cards become almost irrelevant. There are lots of different versions, OC/SC/SSC etc. All these acronyms only mean that the GPU's have different clockspeeds, which for you are unimportant. SO don't be sucked in by that. Some cards may have different connection ports, this may be relevant for you. But if you run 2-3 monitors, again you will be covered by any card you choose.

Although user reviews are useful, I wouldn't put much pass in them for the most part. ALL manufacturers will have failures, and ALL will have people who were dissatisfied with their customer service. However, reputable brands will have less of those. But still have some.

The brands above are good, have quality parts, and generally good Customer Service.

To bring it down to a simple choice, i'd go for one of those brands above, with a min of two fans, and the cheapest one you can find.

I hope that helps some.

Example:
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $403.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-25 13:22 EST-0500

Solution

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
i'm gonna put it out there, i don't know much about what hardware suits video editing.

But.. from a gaming standpoint i can say that the 5700xt is around the same price as the 2060s and blows it out the water in terms of performance, now as said i don't know how that scaled to workstation stuff, but for gaming its certain. it's just if that performance boost can be seen on video editing too.

there is the one issue with this though, and that's the driver issues with the 5700xt, its prone to crashing and i can imagine that's bad for a workstation! but again, the performance benefits are substantial

Jan 31, 2020
Hey there,

Although user reviews are useful, I wouldn't put much pass in them for the most part. ALL manufacturers will have failures, and ALL will have people who were dissatisfied with their customer service. However, reputable brands will have less of those. But still have some.

The brands above are good, have quality parts, and generally good Customer Service.

To bring it down to a simple choice, i'd go for one of those brands above, with a min of two fans, and the cheapest one you can find.

I hope that helps some.

Example:
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $403.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-25 13:22 EST-0500
Thanks for the advice. It helps.