Choosing Card for Dedicated Physx

rhysdalegend

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hey guys, i really want to have a dedicated physx card for my computer and im not sure what card i should get.
Does physx need lots of memory (512mb ok?)? does it need any specific hardware? would a low card have equal physx performance to a higher one? (just physx not rendering capabilities)

Im not after something expensive
100 (aus) or less, preferably under 70.
but so far iv seen the gt210, 220, 240, 9500gt (any higher in 9000 series gets to expensive)
also id go with 512mb memory if that doesnt affect physx

now here are my specs
i7 920
6gb ddr3
giga ud4p mobo
HD 5870
psu: 850watts

so for the nvidia card i just want the physx part, not interested in it rendering.

now i no nvidia blocked out physx for ati
but i found a legit forum explaining how to get it to work for a ati+nvidia

any help would be appreciated

rhysdalegend

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

ok thanks for the quick reply but does hardware affect physx performance?
if i were too go with a gt 220 (for price) would i see a difference in the physx?

Check out this artical: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465-8.html

On this page, where they use a dedicated physX card, the difference between a 250 and a 260 as a dedicated card is non-existant in Batman. However, you'll notice everything below did lose power as the dedicated card was lowered in power.

There are not a lot of games with PhysX atm, so it's hard to give a broad generation, but it does appear a more powerful card does help some.

rhysdalegend

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

thanks for that, i should of saved time and googled that.
i might go with gt220 now
do you reckon a 1gb or 512mb?