[SOLVED] choosing good fans for cooling

Blos88

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
hey there
so this is my situation:

i been thinking in buying some pc fans from ali,i have 3 rgbs from ali,some cheaps ones 3 of them on front of the case,and one on the rear for extract.

so there are my options:

cant insert images so i will provide a direct link for them:

AIGO FANS:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000...68#1000022185#1000066058#0_668#3468#15612#306

DARKFLASH

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/3303...7.0&pvid=63485252-cb61-48e5-bedb-defd684e826d

DARKFLASH AGAIN 2:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000...68#1000022185#1000066058#0_668#3468#15612#306

my rig is:

r5 2600 no oc with low v and locked on 3.6ghz

its summer where i live,so turbo boost rise up doing anything

asus tuf b450m-pro,is my mobo compatible with argb? i think it is,but the rgb pin dont know is able to do it,im new to rgb fans or argb

dont remember my case name but its from china also

what fans di you recommend?

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020

first two links are 12cm fans, third one is 14cm.

as a fan spins its blades, it creates airflow. a bigger fan can produce equal amount of airflow while spinning slower.

that means less rpm yet same blow.
so I prefer bigger fans, because they make less noise. fan efficiency is measured by CFM (cube feet per meter).
I recommend Phanteks 20cm, you may only be able to use one for your case. Idk if there's place on your case to screw it, but I don't mind placing a hole. chassis looks like a colander anyway.

Phanteks also has 14 and 12cm. They're very quiet. I have two 14 and one 20. Although I don't use them anymore because I watercool my pc with passive thermal dissipation.
my Phanteks don't have lights. They have white blades and black frame. from netherlands.
I care for bearings, imagine a cheap fan with RGB, how much was spent on noise R&D?

Phanteks comes with voltage reducer cable, that makes your fan quieter (not included with 20cm version). There are also some plastic thingies inside the box to muffle vibrations. Phanteks corners are covered with rubber. so these guys know where the noise is coming from. but anyway I use water.

for example Arctic makes quiet fans, but their CFM is very low. BeQuiet! makes expensive fans, Noctua makes fans that are colored like nutty energy bars. whatever, don't buy 12cm. smaller is noisier. think about a small tiny dog that barks loudly from a pocket.

that "bump" was funny. reminded me of bella poarch's TikTok video M to the B, M to the B..... bump

btw Aigo means love of nation 爱国, the go part is pronounced like guava without va. guava the pear shaped fruit with pink inside.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
or should i get a watercooling? maybe? my case has space for 6 fans,3 on the front panel,2 on the top and 1 on the rear.

did you ask me about watercooling?

I proudly present my PC. drumrolls:
https://ibb.co/dD1xtpH

ok, you don't have to nail the case. but for radiator+fans+pump I suggest you replace all of them with that tank sitting on the floor.
you still need to buy cpu and gpu blocks like everyone else. RGB, non RGB do what you want. but enlarge your radiator to this 20L tank. and bye bye all fans. (you will not need to buy radiator either)

alternatively, you can replace the tank with this. stainless steel has 14 wmk thermal conductivity while plastic is 0.2. That's why we use steel to cook soup instead of plastic. So this thing down there dissipates heat much better. If you have ever worked in a canteen and served soup to 400 college students, you have seen some of these.

O1CN01fjZBXI1K28GGATi8p_!!3268081105.jpg_400x400.jpg

water cooling is generally more expensive than air cooling due to nickel-plated copper parts and less customers. So if you want one, make it dead silent.
excuse me, I must go now and dye my hair jade green.
good luck with your experiments 🤞

COLGeek

Cybernaut
did you ask me about watercooling?

I proudly present my PC. drumrolls:
https://ibb.co/dD1xtpH

ok, you don't have to nail the case. but for radiator+fans+pump I suggest you replace all of them with that tank sitting on the floor.
you still need to buy cpu and gpu blocks like everyone else. RGB, non RGB do what you want. but enlarge your radiator to this 20L tank. and bye bye all fans. (you will not need to buy radiator either)

alternatively, you can replace the tank with this. stainless steel has 14 wmk thermal conductivity while plastic is 0.2. That's why we use steel to cook soup instead of plastic. So this thing down there dissipates heat much better. If you have ever worked in a canteen and served soup to 400 college students, you have seen some of these.

O1CN01fjZBXI1K28GGATi8p_!!3268081105.jpg_400x400.jpg

water cooling is generally more expensive than air cooling due to nickel-plated copper parts and less customers. So if you want one, make it dead silent.
excuse me, I must go now and dye my hair jade green.
good luck with your experiments 🤞
Some "serious" engineering here...:rolleyes:

Reactions: LeiHeJun