Question Choosing GPU for a Server (Requires Vulkan and Direct3D support)

GilP

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
Hello,

Would appreciate some assistance.
I am looking to purchase a GPU for a server platform that needs to support video analysis (none AI) and 3D rendering based on Direct3D and Vulkan technologies.
I have looked into all the recent RTX cards that seems to be relevant however I am not sure if they are do-able in a server platform (will they require a display output to be connected to operate)?
Another option I looked into is A40 or RTX A6000, however I couldn't find enough details on their supported technologies.

Thank you!

What is your budget ? A lot will also depend on your budget as well.

Both the A40 and RTX A6000 are almost similar in specs though, based on the same "GA102" graphics processor. A6000 is used mostly on workstations and NVIDIA A40 for server/datacenter workloads.

A40 has essentially the same specs, but with passive cooling, and intended for use in server environments. For a server it's better to get the A40 instead. Both the cards support CUDA, DirectCompute, OpenCL, OpenACC, DirectX 12.075 , Shader Model 5.175 , OpenGL 4.686 , and Vulkan 1.18.

Are you also interested in AMD Pro GPUs ?

Last edited:
BTW, A40 GPU's performance is close to its workstation peer, the A6000, which is about 10% faster due to a slightly higher clock speed and memory bandwidth. But the A40 is better suited for use in servers since it is passively cooled.

GilP

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
Thank you for the quick reply! :)

Follow up questions if possible.
The A40 is a very good option - an issue I had in the past with desktop-oriented GPUs is that I had to connect their output to a monitor for example to get Direct3D to work properly - will this be resolved when using A40?

Additionally, A40 is a rather high-end resources GPU, I don't require that amount of computing resources/memory - is there any lower GPUs that I can look at? Even a bit older ones would do.

Thank you!