Question Chrome keeps freezing my Windows 11 PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
My Chrome suddenly just hangs or slows down, slow down the whole PC with it. It's weird like my cursor moves fine but system becomes slow, right click works. I am running Windows 11, latest Chrome version and latest Nvidia drivers.

Sometimes there is no way to fix it but by hitting the reset button. Sometimes if I alt+f4 the moment Chrome hangs, things become normal again. When I do that, my screen goes blank for a moment and then comes back to normal. I suspect Chrome is having issues with my GPU ? And after reinstalling Chrome, now sometimes if alt f4 doesn't work, I can hit the task manager in the sluggishness, and end one of the chrome tasks, and that fixes itself so no more hitting the reset button for now. It didn't work before, it does for now.

I have disabled hardware acceleration, running background apps when chrome is closed etc. Disabled some stuff on chrome://flags. Nothing works. It started happening when I was on windows 10 couple months ago out of the blue. Now I'm on Windows 11 through beta channel. Even though it's a conflict between the GPU and chrome as I think, when I'm gaming everything is fine ?

PC specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x
b450m mobo
750W 80+ gold Silverstone PSU
16GB ram
RTX 2070 Super GPU
240GB SSD

Tabs that are usually open in Chrome: youtube, whatsapp web and some random few
Extensions: adobe reader, internet download manager, adblock, google translate, tampermonkey, acescpript, betterTTV , google docs offline (All are disabled now, except for adblock)

For the life of me I can't find solutions anywhere.

Nov 11, 2021
Try to check if it's a malware issue. Chrome has in-house harmful detective software that will clean them up and can help freeze or slow problems. Go to Settings(3 dots). Go to Advanced > Reset and clean up. Click Find from the “Find harmful software” section.
Wait until the task is completed, then reset both Chrome and the PC. Turn on and check if something changed.

Let me know if it works or if you have any updates.
Cheers

Techie-Joshua

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Check if this problem persists in the incognito mode. If not then disable all the Chrome extensions one by one (even the adblock). Also, there could be an issue with Windows 11. You can cross check all the fixes in this article to verify your Windows 11 system.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both tools but use only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Determine what changes when the slowdowns occur.

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Process Explorer (free via Microsoft) may also prove helpful. Could be something running in the background that is causing the problems.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.