Chrome Now at 25% Market Share, IE Down to 40%

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]IE, the browser that MS tied directly to their kernel to give the FEDS a back door to their OS.[/citation]
yeah...right...and you probably still think that the earth is flat?

[citation][nom]gio2vanni86[/nom]Not that i want double post, but seriously i got 4 tabs on one browser and that takes 8 process's with 380mb's for all of them, seriously. Can anyone here who uses firefox tell me if it uses just as much or less?[/citation]
Get an SSD, and your worry's will go away. The RAM is so cheap these days, I thought if the browser is fast, than let it use a lots of it. Do u have any extensions running?

Over a few days of running without restart, I have 200-300 tabs in 3-4 instances and Ram usage is close to 1.5of RAM used. But it is still running fast. I recently upgraded to 2600K and one big different thing happened, when I close the tabs now, it is instant, while the C2D E6750 took 4-5 seconds.

U can get 8GB for around $45, I think that's cheap. So I do like, the fact that is high usage, if it doesn't slow down the PC and doesn't crash, when running with a lots opened of tabs.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
nikorr said it well. There's still people complaining about ram usage and that i can't understand. Why the hell you have 4gb on your system? Do you use just 1.5 and look at the rest and think "ooo great i have 2.5gb free ram"????? Please....

[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Ever try to uninstall Chrome? Apparently it refuses to allow other browsers to become the default (including IE)...Google it.[/citation]
nope, I have uninstalled Chrome off of many a school computer and the process is quick and clean. Windows will then default back to IE unless you tell it otherwise. This has been done on both XP and 7. Personally I love Chrome, it just wreaks havoc on synchronize at school (as does FF for some reason) so we have to use IE.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Ever try to uninstall Chrome? Apparently it refuses to allow other browsers to become the default (including IE)...Google it.[/citation]
I've uninstalled chrome before (to downgrade from beta to stable), and upon completion of the uninstall it very politely asked me which browser I would like to be set to the default. Your information appears to be invalid to me.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]Tons of XP users still out there. I just recently updated an XP laptop and I tried IE9,8, and 7 and all of them crashed when trying to start. Downloaded Chrome and Firefox and both ran flawless.[/citation]
What a load of bullshit. IE9 WON'T run under XP you stupid troll!!

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Excellent! Chrome can keep growing... I never want to see that ugly slow blue "e" again if I can help it! In all seriousness, I use chrome for everything except the applications that my job requires to run in IE...

nitzero

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Whatever you install on your computer asks to install Chrome just like the old "google toolbar", theres some heavy marketing behind the scenes trying to push Chrome harder on the average computer user who doesn't even care what browser they're using. Add that to Google's popular services like Youtube and Picasa which tells me I should be using Google Chrome instead of my browser you get a lot of people migrating to Chrome. It's an OK browswer but I kinda dislike seeing wherever I go that I should be using Google Chrome, it's my choice, leave it be.

I've been using Opera for almost 10 years and I'm not planning to switch, it's reliable, fast, secure, cross-plataform and full featured.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]nitzero[/nom]Whatever you install on your computer asks to install Chrome just like the old "google toolbar", theres some heavy marketing behind the scenes trying to push Chrome harder on the average computer user who doesn't even care what browser they're using. Add that to Google's popular services like Youtube and Picasa which tells me I should be using Google Chrome instead of my browser you get a lot of people migrating to Chrome. It's an OK browswer but I kinda dislike seeing wherever I go that I should be using Google Chrome, it's my choice, leave it be.I've been using Opera for almost 10 years and I'm not planning to switch, it's reliable, fast, secure, cross-plataform and full featured.[/citation]

I use Opera too, except it doesn't work on all sites, unfortunately.

It's hard to put a finger on it, but it just works better. It's a better experience, and it works the way I want it to. Other browsers I feel like I'm fighting a little bit.

The only bad thing about Opera is it doesn't let go of memory. If I watch videos it will grab and hold a lot of memory. Closing the tabs doesn't fix it. Only closing and restarting Opera does. Other than that, it's a joy.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]area51reopened[/nom]Firefox is still faster![/citation]
Not if it doesn't take advantage of both cores of a dual core processor like Chrome does.

[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]With Chrome you don't have an option to change temp files and cache folder, which is ridiculous.I know you can adjust the .exe shortcut with a command, but still sucks, cause when i click on the Gmail Counter Gadger for example, that command isn't valid.This for me it's a big enough reason to prefer Firefox.[/citation]
Yes u do, u just don't know about that. Search google for it.

[citation][nom]Rustyd79[/nom]Using Chrome now...I have to agree with gio2vanni86 about the number of processes. I was a die-hard firefox user until the release (version 7 or 8 I believe) started doing the multi-process thing.I absolutely can't stand seeing up to, literally, 20 browser processes running when I have like 3 tabs open. If they fixed that, I would click the FF d/l button again so fast my finger would get windburn!Chrome seems decent and and only use IE as needed but think, as 'beardguy' said, "damn this is slow compared to Chrome".[/citation]
U can run [citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]While no one doubts Microsoft is a rotting corpse, being eaten by Google, Apple and now even OpenOffice, their level of decomposition and consumption varies. The numbers from RealTimeStats is somewhat different. Chrome is at 16.59%, IE at 49.58%, Safari at 8.54%. The trend is very similar, showing big games for Google and pretty good gains for Apple, while Microsoft lost a lot. The scary part for Microsoft has to be Safari, since that means they keep losing share in the operating system market as well.[/citation]

U can use Safari on windows too, not only with apple. Would not do that, but u can use it.

I'm having trouble understanding how Google can sustain this rate of growth. It would be like a country growing at 10% annual GDP for 10 years straight. It just isn't maintainable - or there's some fabricated numbers going around.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]nikorr[/nom]U can run U can use Safari on windows too, not only with apple. Would not do that, but u can use it.[/citation]

Of course you can, but don't you think there's a strong correlation between Safari use and MacIntoy use? I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.