Question Chrome skipping frames when watching Twitch streams ?

spickle81

Prominent
May 1, 2021
So the past week I've notice Twitch streams when watching on chrome has a massive amount of skipped frames. I really notice this while gaming and having twitch open on another monitor. If I use Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. This does not happen. I've uninstalled/reinstalled chrome and it still happens. I have enabled/disabled Use hardware acceleration when available it doesn't seem to make a difference.. Im really confused and don't believe its hardware related since I don't have any issues when using the other browsers.

System Spec 3yrs old I clean my system every month with a electric dusters
Windows 10: Version 20H2 OS build: 19042.928
PC CASE: Corsair CC-9011048-WW Carbide Series Air 540 Windowed ATX High Airflow Cube Performance Computer Case with White LED Fan - Arctic White
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W YD2600BBAFBOX Desktop Processor
CPU COOLER: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, 240mm Radiator, Dual 120mm PWM Fans, Software Control, Liquid CPU Cooler
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel XMP 2.0 Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 590 8GB PCI-E Dual HDMI / DVI-D/ Dual DP
PSU: CORSAIR TX-M Series TX750M CP-9020131-NA 750W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Harddrive: Team Group L5 3D 2.5" 240GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) T253TD240G3C101 Windows loaded 62.8GB Used 159GB Unused
Harddrive:
Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD, up to 540MB/s - CT1000BX500SSD1 Games loaded 436GB Used 494GB Unused

3Monitors:

Sceptre 30-inch Curved Gaming Monitor 21:9 2560x1080 Ultra Wide Ultra Slim HDMI DisplayPort up to 200Hz Build-in Speakers, Metal Black (C305B-200UN)
ASUS VS248H-P 24" Full HD 1920x1080 2ms HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor
ASUS VS248H-P 24" Full HD 1920x1080 2ms HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor

thanks

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Observe system performance using Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Use both but only one at a time.

Observe while the system idles, while doing light work, simple browsing, then gaming, etc. as normal.

Look for some change(s) when the frame start skipping.

spickle81

Prominent
May 1, 2021
I updated my post to show my system spec.

The frame skipped are not noticeable all the time even though its showing frames skipping when looking in advance in the twitch videoplayer options. The biggest thing I have noticed the past week is when I have a game loading like WOW loading screen on my main monitor and twitch/youtube video playing on one of my side monitors I get a lot of stutters. I've never noticed this before. This seems to happen regardless of the browser but the Frame skipped seem to happen more on Chrome than any other browser. Im not sure if this is hardware related or a software issue.

UPDATE: I seem to have fixed the skipped frames issue. Looks like unchecking the Low Latency option under advance in the video player cogwheel stopped the skipped frames to a very minimum like 1skipped frame vs 2000 in a span of 1min. However I'm now concern about the stuttering that I am getting when loading wow, or anything that has a load screen which causes any video being played on another monitor to stutter and lagg out. If I tab out of the game and click on the browser it stops. Is this a video card issue, or something else?

Last edited:

spickle81

Prominent
May 1, 2021
So it seems the stuttering is happening across all browsers. Chrome, Firefox. This happens when I am playing a game on my main monitor and have a video playing on the 2nd monitor. The audio is fine, but the frames starts to stutter and slow down until I tab out and select the browser.

spickle81

Prominent
May 1, 2021
Just to follow up with this. I seem to have found what was causing the issue. World of Warcraft if DX12 is enabled I do not have the issue with videos stuttering. However DX12 causes graphic artifacts in that game after an hour or so of playing its really random when it happens usesually after I teleport to a new location. I think its something with WOW cause I have no other issues in any other game.

If I swap WOW to DX11 the graphic artifacts stop, but Twitch and Youtube videos will stutter hard when I have WOW open and loading. If I play any other game No issues. So it seems that was the issue. I got a post on wow forums about the artifacts. I dont think my card is dying or anything. Seems like something else.