Question Chronic Wired Connection Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
For the last 3 years I have had connection issues ONLY on my wired connection. All wireless devices do not experience ANY issues. These issues do not happen if I have a VPN turned on, but that isn't always practical for speed reasons. It isn't permanent. A simple reload or three immediately brings me to where I was going. However, it becomes frustrating when logging into games, staying connected to certain streaming services, or making any purchases online. Basically, not life altering but annoying. Here are the things I have tried to resolve the issue:

- Uninstalled the VPN via REVO (twice), deleted all files associated with it, and reinstalled a different VPN and had some issues so I repeated the uninstall.

- Updated all relevant devices, drivers, programs (i.e.; Ethernet, GPU, BIOS, router firmware, etc...).

- Restarted modem and router (several times).

- Confirmed through ISP that their modem is working properly.

- Changed ethernet cables.

- Ran network commands (netsh winsock reset, netsh int ip reset, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flushdns).

- Uninstalled Ethernet Network Adapter driver and restarted Windows.

- Tinkered with 'Speed/Duplex' settings on Windows and router.

- Disabled 'Dynamic QoS' within router.

My router is a Nighthawk X6 R8000 and it seems to be working fine otherwise, though it is a little over 4 years old. My motherboard is an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and I am using the Ethernet port on that motherboard.

The only thing I haven't done yet is a complete Network Reset. I was told it should be a "last resort" so I came here to see if I missed anything before taking that step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Both of my PC's are only able to connect via wired connections. I only have one connected because the other is simply used as a media center for our small child. Neither is capable of connecting wireless. The other PC is likely way behind on updates so I opted not to use it for the test. I know, probably not helpful. My apologies. Also, I didn't have to wait 24 hours for the issues to crop up this time when switching routers. Here is the "ipconfig/all" results for the main PC:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-8R29ABS
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-FE-CE-0E-F9-4A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D8-61-AB-1B-F6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a2e6:78c6:f0e9:3e97%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 12, 2024 10:57:37 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 24, 2024 8:43:53 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 369154145
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-25-AE-02-BE-00-D8-61-AB-1B-F6
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

As far as the "Reliability History/Monitor": All 'Informational Events' were simply successful Windows updates during the period between 06/04/24 to today. There were a few 'Windows failures' and 'Application failures' over that course.
- Six instance of agt.exe "stopped working" (3 times on the 8th of June which was when I was doing the Safe Mode testing).
- An instance of 'PWA Proxy Host Stopped Working and was Closed' on the 4th of June.
- An instance of 'Windows Hardware Error' on the 12th with no explanation as to what hardware had the error.
- Two 'Warnings' of failed Windows Updates, likely due to the dropped connection issue.

'Event Viewer=' was far more active but it seems to always have been on any PC I have had. I wouldn't know where to start since there are several every day. There are always 'Errors' for metadata staging failures and 'Warnings' for certificates about to expire. Sometimes I get 'Warnings' that happened when I was logged off and asleep.

'Task Scheduler' didn't show any apps that weren't necessary or wanted other than the google updater (I don't think I use any google apps on my machine). Everything there seemed fine.

'Router Logs' were short as it only seems to log the last 48 hours. Here is something I noticed:
- A series of [WLAN Access rejected: Incorrect security] from MAC 9C : E^ : 35 : 31 : 5F : E8, Saturday, June 22, 2024.
That seires occured from 3:57:03 p.m. until 4:35:55 p.m. with over 30 instances logged. Other than that string, everything else seemd to be normal. This PC was on but not actively used. We were watching a streaming service at the time with no issues.

So this is a longer thread that I may have missed things.

Can you tell if it is disconnecting completely from the network or only from internet servers. If you were to lose the ethernet port or cable physically it should cause a error but I assume you did not see that in the event logs.

Maybe some very basic stuff.

Leave a constant ping run to the router IP and to some common IP like 8.8.8.8

Loss to the router IP most times is some issue on the PC. Not likely the router since you have the issue on multiple routers.

If you get no loss to the router but to internet IP then it is more complex. This most times indicates some issue with your internet connection. If you were to run pings on another device it should also see loss to 8.8.8.8.

If it is only your machine it can still be vpn even when you uninstall it. I had a problem similar to yours when I was trying out a number of vpn and it seems one did not uninstall correctly and the only way I fixed it was to reinstall windows. I have never loaded a vpn client on the machine since..I use my router. The only vpn client I would consider is one of the open source vpn that you then manually configure using the vpn sites setting rather than blinding running executables.

Although it likely is not the case if you get disconnects after a session is open I would change the DNS in the IPv4 settings to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 DNS issues tend to be more slowness and sites not opening. These public DNS servers work better than the default which is to use your router a proxy to the ISP dns both which tend to have more issue than google or cloudfare dns servers.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Pinging returned no issues. I did quick pings and let it go for upwards of two hours. Both my IP address and 8.8.8.8. I also changed my DNS in IPv4. Still the same issues. The Cable Company is supposed to come out sometime after the 4th. Fingers crossed.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

"A series of [WLAN Access rejected: Incorrect security] from MAC 9C : E^ : 35 : 31 : 5F : E8, Saturday, June 22, 2024."

Are you able to identify that device?

Here is a link that can help with identifying devices:

https://macvendors.com/

It would be helpful to get a sense of how your network is setup.

Likely something similar to the following line diagram:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point (if used) ~~~~> Wireless network devices.

With other Router LAN ports -----> Wired network devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram to show how your network layout (topology).

Your ISP is not likely to find any problem. Now this might be a intermittent issue....which makes is a huge pain for both your and the ISP to find.

If the ping to the router is fine it generally means you have good network in your house. If the ping to 8.8.8.8 is fine it means the data is traveling over the line coming to your house, though the ISP network, and then to google and maybe even passing other isp on the way. This basically means there is no network issue with any of your equipment and with your ISP equipment.

There is the rare chance it is another ISP but you can do nothing about that so it does little good to consider that possibility.

What this could be though is something other than a true network issue. For example ping does not use the web browser and it could be a web browser issue. BUT games also do not tend to use web browsers so it is not going to be that simple.

These are the type I really hate. You need to find something consistently breaks and try to determine what is different about that traffic and the ping command. It can be other software loaded on the machine. Common things are so called game accelerators that come bundled with the bloatware on motherboards and video cards. That though is just one example there are many other things that you might have installed.

Although it is a extreme things to try it might actually take less time in total. Maybe reinstall windows telling it leave all your data. You unfortunately will still have to reinstall all the apps but any data used by those apps will still be on your disk.