Cinebench scores even worse after reverting overclock

Jan 26, 2019
I have a i9 9900k and z390 godlike running everything at default except for xmp, The cinebench scores were around 2000-2030 I tried to overclock it to 5Ghz and it was unstable and getting hot. My cooler is a corsiar h150i. After trying for about an hour I decided to revert all the changes and go back to stock now my scores are in the low 1500s. Any idea on what is wrong

Were you making your overclock changes in the BIOS or using a desktop utility? Were you manually configuring things or using one of the preset OC profiles in the BIOS, if you were configuring things in the BIOS?

What is the EXACT model number of your power supply, and yes, that very much makes a difference when overclocking.

Jan 26, 2019

Every thing was in the bios and manualy changed the cpu ratio to 50 disabled c state voltage changed from auto to 1.290 - 1.350 cpu ratio mode fixed. My power supply is hx 850i

Did you do a hard reset of the BIOS, in order to try and get the settings all back to the stock configuration?

If not, try that first.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Jan 26, 2019

Thank you so much it did the trick!

Perfect. Glad it worked out. Now, when you get ready, if you do, to try your hand at overclocking again, I'd give both of these a read several times until you fully understand the concepts involved.

*Basic CPU overclocking tutorial

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8812/gigabyte-z390-9th-gen-oc-guide-vrm-thermal-test/index.html

Honestly, with an all core 4.7Ghz boost and a two core 5Ghz boost, out of the box, there isn't really much overclocking headroom on that CPU. If you could get an all core full time 4.8Ghz OC, that would not add a LOT, but a little, and for free we'll take whatever we can get. Plus, you can probably tweak the core voltage, system agent voltage and some other settings to manually reduce the thermal impact because I guarantee the stock voltage is almost always higher than it needs to be. You need to do so carefully and incrementally, testing at each step along the way though, because stability issues (Which are WHY they use so much auto voltage when configured according to stock behavior) are no joke.

Just because you don't see bluescreens, freezing or restarts doesn't mean the system is stable, and if it's not stable, you WILL have data corruption.