Question Circuit breaker flipped and fried my PSU?

healthymeal

Commendable
Aug 12, 2017
So I installed a Corsair H100i platinum, after the installation, I plugged the computer in heard a loud pop and smelt smoke, the breaker tripped in the outlet I plugged it into. I know the pop was a capacitor in the PSU because I tested the PSU after and it was dead. To get to the point I’m wondering if after replacing the PSU would I be able to use this same outlet through a battery back up and be safe? Was this the PSU being faulty or the computer drawing over the 20A limit on the breaker? As far as I know PSU’s aren’t supposed to just get fried after an event like that.

The original power supply was a 850W EVGA Bronze and I’m replacing it with an 850W TOUGHPOWER Gold

kanewolf

Titan
I would be concerned about any USB connection you made for the H100i. It is easy to get that wrong, cause a short and then "pop goes the PSU". It might have just been that PSUs time. But I would be suspicious of the other changes you made.

A PC will never draw 20A, so that isn't the problem.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Sounds to me like your breaker did exactly as designed and saved you from a possible shock or electrical fire.
Might be a good idea to have an electrician out to look at that outlet before using it just to be sure a problem doesn't reside there.

healthymeal

Commendable
Aug 12, 2017
I would be concerned about any USB connection you made for the H100i. It is easy to get that wrong, cause a short and then "pop goes the PSU". It might have just been that PSUs time. But I would be suspicious of the other changes you made.

A PC will never draw 20A, so that isn't the problem.
So what’s the right way to make the USB connection cause I just did it straight from the mobo slot that had the USB written over it.