[SOLVED] Cisco Air-CAP2602i-E-K9 Set up issue

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Hi,

So i recently brought a Cisco Air-CAP2602i-E-K9 with out proper research on it (assumed it would work with a normal POE) and not relieazing i need a Cisco Controller? is that correct that i require a controller? and if so is there away around setting it up with out the controller?
What i have done - So i have POE switch i plugged ethernet cable into this and then into the Cisco AP which then it powered up i then plugged in a ethernet cable into the console and plugged this into my laptop. i then did 30-30-30 reset process then i still had a blue flashing light and then it just went to a red flashing light, something tells me this process is incorrect please advise?
Thank you greatly

Solution
The best cheap AP with enterprise like features are from ubiquiti. They make a large selection. Theirs can run either with or without their controller. The good news is the controller software if you want it is free.
Its been a long while since I messed with these. This may or may not be a option on that particular device. Many AP can run in either controller or Autonomous mode. The ones I messed with you had to force the device into a firmware recovery mode and load a different software version on that did not use the controller. The device lost a lot of the fancy features that are supported on the controller model. Cisco is pretty good about instructions on how to do stuff like this. What I don't know is if you are going to be able to get a copy of the firmware. Most cisco firmware is locked behind a subscription service plan.

All I really remember is I got it working and then tossed the device back on the trash pile at work where I found it since it was old and slow and didn't have much interesting to play with.

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Its been a long while since I messed with these. This may or may not be a option on that particular device. Many AP can run in either controller or Autonomous mode. The ones I messed with you had to force the device into a firmware recovery mode and load a different software version on that did not use the controller. The device lost a lot of the fancy features that are supported on the controller model. Cisco is pretty good about instructions on how to do stuff like this. What I don't know is if you are going to be able to get a copy of the firmware. Most cisco firmware is locked behind a subscription service plan.

All I really remember is I got it working and then tossed the device back on the trash pile at work where I found it since it was old and slow and didn't have much interesting to play with.

Thank you for your reply, I found out I also need a console cable.

I brought this as it was cheap-ish and thought it would fit what I need it for. We also use these at my work place and they aren't the best either.

I mainly just need to extend my WiFi via a wireless AP (preferably POE) what would you suggest I look at?

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you I will look into this now
Ubiquiti APs will only wirelessly connect to other Ubiquiti devices. If you are trying to extend ISP router (or non-Ubiquiti personal router) WIFI then it won't work.
Have you exhausted the none ethernet direct cabling options of MOCA and Powerline ? Either of those options is better than a wireless uplink.
If you have ANY kind of wired connection back to your primary router, you can use any normal WIFI router as an access point.

TRENDING THREADS