[SOLVED] Cisco Router - Port forwarding, "invalid IP"

May 18, 2020
Hello.

I have a Cisco EPC3940ADL router.

I'm having issues hosting a server through a game and need to open port 10308. I've been instructed to do so via the routers port forwarding, but when changing the port forwarding settings I get a message saying I have an invalid IP.

I've set a static IP address, however I am not sure if that address is "correct".

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Please also excuse my lack of knowledge within the computer world regarding terminology and computer science. I may need to ask for some explanations to abbreviations and such...

Solution
The issue has been solved.

I've recently purchased a D-Link Covr wifi system for my home. The extremely simple way of explaining is that the link system communicated on a different net than the actual supplier net. The Covr "changed" the IP settings to its own address, feeding my computer with a "wrong" IP address. The one I was supplied with was something like 192.168.100.XXX, while the actual supplier IP is 192.168.0.XXX

The solution was to access the Covr IP-settings and find the actual internet supplier IP address which had 192.168.0.XXX, since the one that was fed into my computer was invalid and provided by the Covr system. I entered the actual IP address into the port forwarding in the router. The port seemed to still be...

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Can you post a screenshot for the parameters you're trying to configure?

Usually it's outside port, inside IP and inside port. So you'd statically address the client you want to port forward to (internal 192.168 space), and generally use the same outside and inside ports.

May 18, 2020
Hi beers, and thank you for your reply.

I'm struggling figuring out how to share images on the forum, but there are basically two sections available, "External" and "Internal".
The External section have two sub-sections names "Start-port" to "End-port".

In the Internal section I have to fill inn IP address, Start port, End port, protocol (UCP/TCP) and tick off a box to"Enable".

May 18, 2020
The issue has been solved.

I've recently purchased a D-Link Covr wifi system for my home. The extremely simple way of explaining is that the link system communicated on a different net than the actual supplier net. The Covr "changed" the IP settings to its own address, feeding my computer with a "wrong" IP address. The one I was supplied with was something like 192.168.100.XXX, while the actual supplier IP is 192.168.0.XXX

The solution was to access the Covr IP-settings and find the actual internet supplier IP address which had 192.168.0.XXX, since the one that was fed into my computer was invalid and provided by the Covr system. I entered the actual IP address into the port forwarding in the router. The port seemed to still be closed. However...there is a "port forwarding" function in the Covr system that can be configured. It opened the port.

I am not exactly sure if setting a port-forwarding rule in both the router AND Covr system is necessary, or if its only needed in the Covr system, but anyways...it now works.

Solution
May 18, 2020
Ill try my best... :p

I have a Cisco EPC3940ADL router that is connected directly to the wall.

Between the router and "A-unit" of the Covr wifi system there is a direct connection with ethernet cable.

The Covr "A-unit" is directly linked through wifi to the Covr "B-unit".

The Covr "B-unit has a ethernet cable directly into my computer.

Ill try my best... :p

I have a Cisco EPC3940ADL router that is connected directly to the wall.

Between the router and "A-unit" of the Covr wifi system there is a direct connection with ethernet cable.

The Covr "A-unit" is directly linked through wifi to the Covr "B-unit".

The Covr "B-unit has a ethernet cable directly into my computer.
Got it. So your Covr wifi units are also acting as a router. To fix this, you can do one of two things--make the Covr units just access points (no routing) or put the Cisco in 'bridge-mode' to allow the Covr to be the only router. Now, you can't set up bridge mode if you need to use the phone lines attached to the Cisco as they will probably not work with bridge mode.

May 18, 2020
Thank you for following this issue with suggestions Samir. I am not sure what consequences will happen doing one or the other of your suggestions. I will try to put the Cisco in bridge-mode, and see if that works. Thank you.

May 18, 2020
I set the router to "bridge-mode only". It reset and is now not avaible for access via the wifi-system. Is this correct? The internet otherwise works perfect, and I do not get a message that theres a double NAT