News Clampdown On Crypto Mining Sends China's GPU Prices Plunging up to 45 Percent

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
What will really tank card prices is if the miners in China decide to dump all their now useless graphics cards and get real jobs. They could drive prices down below MSRP on eBay easy. Should be fun after years of waiting to get a card at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Krotow
That's a big "maybe" I wouldn't bet the farm on that one.

Don't forget that a few months ago when Chia was getting going prices of high-capacity hard drives rose in China first and then spread everywhere else. An apples to oranges comparison for sure, but it makes the point that what happens in China from a hardware perspective has a way of spreading to the rest of the world.

What will really tank card prices is if the miners in China decide to dump all their now useless graphics cards and get real jobs. They could drive prices down below MSRP on eBay easy. Should be fun after years of waiting to get a card at a reasonable price.

Yeah, the market forces driving prices up for GPUs have been high demand and low supply. With lower demand (no more crypto-mining in China), and higher supply (all the GPUs the miners would have bought + all their old GPUs now hitting the used market), there is a good chance we'll start seeing lower prices across the board as the market slowly corrects itself.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
GOOD, maybe I'll actually be able to find one in stock now and not at 2X (plus) MSRP!
Actually, you should not expect anything less than 1.5x MSRP now with the AIB partner's price increase due to "component shortage". Nvidia's launch day MSRP is unlikely to happen. For example, ff they are going to have to sell you RTX 3080 for USD 699, they would rather sell the RTX 3080 Ti which they can sell for USD 1199, which means you may not find a RTX 3080.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think this is where you are mistaken. The bulk of the graphic cards are soaked up by people that can afford to run massive crypto mining farms. In other words, they are well to do in the first place. The small time miners affects GPU supply, but their contribution to the problem is just the tip of the iceberg. In this case, it is the closure of these massive mining operations that made a huge impact to the supply. But as to how long this will last, it is hard to tell. While they cannot mine in China, it does not stop them moving to other countries to continue their mining activities. There is a lag time before they relocate. Big mining operations have the economies of scale to continue mining even if the prices are low, and with current Ether prices and lower difficulties, it is even more attractive for them to continue.