Clean install of windows 7 getting a black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jujuzinha

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hello,

I just did my first build and I am having a big problem with installing windows 7 on it. When I boot it's starts loading and then I get a black screen. I didn't get any options before or any command.

my build:
GPU: ASUS GTX 550 TI
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V LX
CPU: Intel i7-2600
PSU: Corsair TX650
RAM: Corsair DDR3-1600 8GB

At the first start up of the machine everything was fine I got the BIOS, did a few changes then went to reboot to install windows 7. Problem started ^^

I tried a few changes, like in the SATA configuration. It was on AHCI mode I put it on IDE. I tried connecting my screen with a VGA cable because I read HDMI was bugging. I tried installing 32bits version.

I am pretty noobie about all the configuration on BIOS so maybe it's a simple fix, I don't know.

I'm stuck with this black screen and could find my answer on any forum. I would really appreciated if someone could help me out :)

RealBeast

Titan
I would probably either go into the bios and reset all to the baseline or clear the cmos (bios) by disconnecting power and moving the cmos clear jumper to clear and then back, then go into the bios and set the correct settings for some things like your memory (seems to often be an issue using spd), also do use ahci sata mode, and if your card has DVI slot, use it to connect your monitor.

Disconnect any drives other hard drives than your boot drive for Windows setup.

Also in your bios, go to advanced mode (upper right corner), then select the boot tab -- disable full screen logo, setup mode to advanced.

If you initially installed Windows in AHCI mode, you cannot just change the bios setting to IDE because the drivers will be incorrect, so that could be an issue.

Also run a memory test to check your memory.

ahdguy

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
I had this issue when I had TWO monitors connected - I disconnected the one of them and the build progressed after that - just worth noting.

studentIT2014

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014

thank you SO much for this. Saved me a lot of hassle from my boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.