[SOLVED] Clean install of windows.

Apr 10, 2015
Hey, I want to do a clean install of windows. I've installed it, but I noticed that my background from my previous install is still there. I thought a clean install would wipe everything.

Also the system reserved folder installed itself on my hdd, not the drive that contains windows. Can I move this to my windows drive, and is there even a point in doing that? If it doesn't affect performance or anything I don't mind it being there, but the drive is pretty old (wouldn't be suprised if it died soon). If the drive straight up dies along with the system reserved folder, would it cause issues?

The reason I want a clean install of windows is because I've started noticing suttering in my games, and my mouse pointer hangs from time to time. I've also changed hardware a while ago, and thought there might be a lot of bloat left from previous hardware. There is also a lot of programs running in the background that has been stockpiling for years.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey, I want to do a clean install of windows. I've installed it, but I noticed that my background from my previous install is still there. I thought a clean install would wipe everything.

Also the system reserved folder installed itself on my hdd, not the drive that contains windows. Can I move this to my windows drive, and is there even a point in doing that? If it doesn't affect performance or anything I don't mind it being there, but the drive is pretty old (wouldn't be suprised if it died soon). If the drive straight up dies along with the system reserved folder, would it cause issues?

The reason I want a clean install of windows is because I've started noticing suttering in my games, and my mouse pointer hangs from time to time. I've also changed hardware a while ago, and thought there might be a lot of bloat left from previous hardware. There is also a lot of programs running in the background that has been stockpiling for years.
Here is the STICKY on how to do a clean OS install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
One thing that is important is to have ONLY the drive you want to be C: connected when you do the install. Any other drives connected, can confuse the Windows installer.

Apr 10, 2015
Here is the STICKY on how to do a clean OS install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
One thing that is important is to have ONLY the drive you want to be C: connected when you do the install. Any other drives connected, can confuse the Windows installer.
I installed it with a usb through bios like in the guide, but I didn't have my additional drives unplugged. Do I really have to install it again? Is there any consequences to having "system reserved" on another drive? Now that I think about it, system reserved might have been on my HDD drive all along, but I only realized it now that I see the partition in file explorer. As long as the system reserved partition is intact, stuff like my background image will still persist on new installs?

Apr 10, 2015
did you log into a ms account after this new install?

that saves your backgrounds and other settings. it would then put it all back for you when you sign in again.

just a thought as to what might be happening.
Yes I did. That would explain that, thanks!. Then the only question left is what to do with the system reserved partition, if there is any point in doing something with it at all.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when you do a fresh install only the drive windows is going on is supposed to be hooked up. this prevents the partitions from being split and also prevents anything odd from happening that might mess up the data drive.

if it's working, then no reason to install again. but if it bugs you and you don't mind the time to do it right, then another install won't hurt anything. but this time only hook up the actual drive windows is going to be on!!