[SOLVED] Clean install Windows 10 on SSD and Data on HDD Step by Step Guide

jdl92990

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Does anyone know where I can find a well detailed guide that explains how to separate everything possible from the windows 10 SSD and the Data storage HDD for a clean install? I have seen typical separation of documents, music, pictures, and videos, but I was hoping there is more detailed things that could be transferred, maybe Program files, (x86), and Program Data?
Let me know if you guys have come across anything like this, also let me know if you don't recommend this for whatever reason. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you everyone.

Solution
New install on the SSD:

For applications and other things on the HDD, do NOT try to force everything to be installed there.
You may see some utube foolishness that talks about a registry edit to change that default.
DO NOT DO THIS. Tears will result.
Some things require to be installed on the OS drive.

Don't try to 'move' the Program Files location.
For things you want installed on the other drive, do that when you install that particular applciation. During the install, select Custom or Advanced. It will (for most things) let you choose a location. That location does NOT have to be labeled "Program Files, or anything special. You could...

USAFRet

Titan
New install on the SSD:

For applications and other things on the HDD, do NOT try to force everything to be installed there.
You may see some utube foolishness that talks about a registry edit to change that default.
DO NOT DO THIS. Tears will result.
Some things require to be installed on the OS drive.

Don't try to 'move' the Program Files location.
For things you want installed on the other drive, do that when you install that particular applciation. During the install, select Custom or Advanced. It will (for most things) let you choose a location. That location does NOT have to be labeled "Program Files, or anything special. You could use a top level folder on the HDD called 'MyApplications'. Or call it anything you wish.

And in reality, you DO want most or all of your applications on the fast drive. That's why you have it...to run things fast.

For Steam games, its easy.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
----------------------
Other game launcher platforms have a similar function.

Reactions: jdl92990
Solution