[SOLVED] Clean Installation of Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Recently my laptop is facing a lot of problems. So I decided to clean install Windows 10 but I don't have any external hard drive on which I can backup my data. so I have to keep all my data on my computer and install Windows 10. I have three more local drives besides the local drive C. So if I choose to remove all my files during the installation process, will it only delete the apps and files installed or associated with the local drive C or will it wipe out all the files in the other drives too? Will the device drivers be removed too?

Solution
As mentioned, it doesn't actually disappear, the device manager takes it's cue from the the driver. Without a driver it shows up as an unknown device, with the Radeon HD 8670M driver it shows up under Display Adapters as the Radeon HD 8670M. When the Firepro W9000 driver takes over, it identifies the Display Adapter as a Firepro W9000. So what you are seeing is a the wrong driver taking over, which misidentifies the Display Adapter as a Firepro W9000, rather than the correct identification as a Radeon HD 8670M.

Yes, but he just did a reset. There shouldn't be another driver unless its included in windows? His device should only have the drivers installed by windows. Unless he used a 3rd party driver updater to install the new...

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Yes, it is switching. It's switching to the Intel adapter that is ALSO onboard. As mentioned, if you don't have both drivers installed, and specifically the required driver for your Radeon HD adapter, you're going to have problems because it is unlikely that Windows has a native driver for it.

No it's like I play games and do other stuff using the AMD. Then I keep the laptop idle for some time and AMD is gone already. I have both drivers installed correctly. My point is even if it switches, it's not supposed to disappear, right?

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Always handy when the driver site for notebook says none here.

GPU is built onto the motherboard of laptop so only way to replace is via HP. Have to start to wonder if repair cost is less than price of a new one.

But before we go there, try running the ubuntu live USB on PC and see if it has similar problems with card, as that would tell us if its hardware or windows. I can tell you windows doesn't normally change its mind as to what card is installed, so i have my doubts.
Can you guide me on how to run ubuntu live?

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Make sure that the AMD adapter is set as the primary graphics adapter in the BIOS, or, if there is no setting there, look in the Intel graphics utility for a related setting. I've seen this a bunch of times before, I just can't remember exactly what the fix was.

I know in comparable Nvidia equipped dual GPU configurations there is a setting to set the Nvidia adapter as the primary one in the Nvidia control panel, but I can't remember how we fixed this on the AMD based models.
There is no setting related to GPU in the BIOS and there's no changeable setting in the Intel Graphics settings either. I know this about Nvidia but I couldn't find any way to switch the primary graphics to AMD.

As mentioned, it doesn't actually disappear, the device manager takes it's cue from the the driver. Without a driver it shows up as an unknown device, with the Radeon HD 8670M driver it shows up under Display Adapters as the Radeon HD 8670M. When the Firepro W9000 driver takes over, it identifies the Display Adapter as a Firepro W9000. So what you are seeing is a the wrong driver taking over, which misidentifies the Display Adapter as a Firepro W9000, rather than the correct identification as a Radeon HD 8670M.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Yes, but he just did a reset. There shouldn't be another driver unless its included in windows? His device should only have the drivers installed by windows. Unless he used a 3rd party driver updater to install the new drivers after reset?

Can you run Driver view, it will showus what drivers are currently running on pc.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
when you run it, go into view menu and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers
can you take a screenshot showing from Driver name column all way to Creation date column. upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

Another thing is can you run this - I know you not getting bsod but it lets me look at system info on your pc - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

Solution